Re: Best practices for storing/retrieving login credentials

From: Michael Giagnocavo [MVP] (mggUNSPAM_at_Atrevido.net)
Date: 06/26/03

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:05:24 -0600

You could look into the Data Protection API (DPAPI) or perhaps an LSA
Secret.
-mike
MVP

"Roy Gunnarsson" <rgunnarsson__REMOVE__@excelsior.edu> wrote in
message news:uwafQA$ODHA.1556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hello all,
>
> I am planning for an application that will be used to delegate a
series of
> tasks to clerical staff in my organization. One step involves
connecting to
> an FTP site for which our organization has a single account. I don't
wish to
> endow everybody with the login credentials and was wondering what
the best
> way to store and retrive the encrypted credentials is. I know I
could have
> people use an FTP client with the login already set up, but I want
to make
> the process as fool-proof as possible (not to imply that my
co-workers are
> fools...) and prefer to simply code and automate that part as well.
> already have the FTP functionality coded but obviously don't want to
> hardcode the login in plain text. I'm just wondering what's being
done in
> such circumstances.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Roy Gunnarsson

Relevant Pages

  • Best practices for storing/retrieving login credentials
    ... tasks to clerical staff in my organization. ... an FTP site for which our organization has a single account. ... endow everybody with the login credentials and was wondering what the best ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: IIS 6.0 FTP
    ... Server port: 21. ... I doubt IIS FTP has such feature. ... next, general 530 error indicating login failed, that could due to ... clients are using an order entry program created in Microsoft access. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp)
  • Re: Use //c to show ftp weather from Bureau of Meteorology
    ... I believe it may be able to display a text file ... The Bureau of Meterology gives Sydney weather via ftp: Seehttp://www.bom.gov.au/other/Ftp.shtml ... assume you setup a serial login. ... Type 'exit' to exit. ...
    (comp.sys.apple2)
  • Re: RBAC auth/profile to allow ftp?
    ... > Roles are not supposed to be able to login. ... > or ftp, ssh or anything else. ... Assigning these auths to a role doesn't seem to accomplish ... > for these accounts to be roles? ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: FTP - User login
    ... Are you referring to the Microsoft "Windows" Login when you reboot the ... and this is not actually a FTP ... as in choosing a account to login into windows on. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp)