Re: Database UserID/Password Storage

From: Jop Pascual (joppascual_at_operamail_dot_com)
Date: 05/13/03

Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 10:16:37 +0800

I would normally hash the passwords first before storing it somewhere.
Authentication can be done by comparing the password hashes instead
of the actual password values.

--
/jop
"Brad Wyatt" <wyattb@nedcorp.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing a Pocket PC application that access a database
> through ADO.NET.  I need to have the machine name,
> database name, user id, and password stored on the Pocket
> PC.
>
> What is the simplest way to do this where the user cannot
> see the stored password on the machine.
>
> I was storing all 4 items in an XML Serializer, but I
> don't want anyone poking aroung and seeing the database
> passwords.
>
> Thanks,
> Brad Wyatt
> wyattb@nedcorp.com

Relevant Pages

  • Database UserID/Password Storage
    ... I'm writing a Pocket PC application that access a database ... Brad Wyatt ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: Ideas on storing and retriving files in a Windows Application
    ... files etc. 2) Because it is stored in a relational database, ... blobs takes some minor modifications other than just using SELECT blah FROM ... horror stories of people who started storing BLOB data in a db only to have ... > will open the appropiatte application to display the file and 2. ...
  • Re: Number + 1
    ... Using the same number in a variety of databases may be a reason for storing ... incremented portion and the extended portion. ... The value for dmrdate is assigned automatically as today's date and time, ... My experience not only with my database but with other customers & ...
  • Re: Image ctl causes bloat when using text field to store path/fil
    ... Are you storing the image in the database? ... it in your database or embedding it in the report and/or form. ... got the same bloating problem in a report containing the Image control. ... Compact on Close will attempt to do so while the database is use... ...
  • Re: Concatenate and Null Values -- Features
    ... I have to say it's hard for me to see how a sequence number such as I have ... I should probably mention that this database is unlikely to generate more ... I wonder if storing 07-01 (probably without the dash, ... I think I know what you're saying about learning by teaching. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.reports)