Re: strong name and web service

From: Guogang (nospam@no_such_domain.com)
Date: 04/09/03

From: "Guogang" <nospam@no_such_domain.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 18:55:48 -0700

Great, that solves one question, strong name won't be checked by clients.

I am investigating the use of strong naming in our .Net solutions.

Does it make sense to use strong naming on .Net application that won't be
put into Global Assembly Cache?
What can I benefit from strong naming a web service?

Thanks,
Guogang

"Steven Grayson [MSFT]" <sgrayson@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You can assign a strong name to assemblies that make up a web service, but
> not to a web service. A strong name consists of an assembly's identity -
its
> simple text name, version number, and culture information (if provided) -
> plus a public key and a digital signature. It is generated from an
assembly
> file (the file that contains the assembly manifest, which in turn contains
> the names and hashes of all the files that make up the assembly), using
the
> corresponding private key. Microsoft® Visual Studio® .NET and other
> development tools provided in the .NET Framework SDK can assign strong
names
> to an assembly.
> What were you wanting to do by assigning a strong name to a web service?
>
> --
rights.
> "Guogang" <nospam@no_such_domain.com> wrote in message
> > I saw that I can assign a strong name to my web-service.
> > My question:
> > Is there benefit in assigning a strong name to web service?
> > Will this strong name be checked by any remote client?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Guogang

Relevant Pages

  • Re: strong name and web service
    ... should use strong naming. ... I can not think of any direct benefits from signing web service code. ... > I am investigating the use of strong naming in our .Net solutions. ... >> You can assign a strong name to assemblies that make up a web service, ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: GUIDs, snks, reflection and ILMerge
    ... You might be better off just ensuring that any calls into the web service ... assemblies into a single executable. ... I need to enforce that only this dll makes ... I believe a GUID would be sufficient to identify the calling dll, ...
  • Re: CodeDom V Emit with Dynamic Proxy
    ... .NET assemblies are never unloaded unless you unload ... service client and marshaled the calls between my main app domain and the ... A product we need to integrate with exposes a web service BUT its methods ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.clr)
  • Re: CodeDom V Emit with Dynamic Proxy
    ... .NET assemblies are never unloaded unless you unload ... service client and marshaled the calls between my main app domain and the ... A product we need to integrate with exposes a web service BUT its methods ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.clr)
  • Problem with manifest, the specified module could not be found
    ... assemblies, and I hope you can help me shed some light on it. ... I'm deploying a web service, which uses some 3rd party dll ... The webservice is xcopied to the server, and the dll in question ...