Re: IsInRole performance issue

From: Joe Kaplan (ilearnedthisthehardway@noway.com)
Date: 03/17/03

From: "Joe Kaplan" <ilearnedthisthehardway@noway.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 16:25:31 -0600

We have a domain with users in many hundreds of groups (I've seen up 880 in
a few rare cases), so I am very interested in this. Would you care to share
how your IsInRole implementation works? Also, who do you use it? Do you
create a new class that implements IPrincipal with your IsInRole
implementation and the user's token inside and stick that on the current
thread? Also, what are the OS limitations with using your implementation?

Thanks!

Joe K. (also a Joseph E....)

"Joseph E Shook" <JoeShook@DeploymentCentric.com> wrote in message
> I have found an issue with IsInRole().
>
> The following is a piece of test code:
>
> using System;
> using System.Security.Principal;
> using System.Threading;
>
> class Class1
> {
> [STAThread]
> static void Main(string[] args)
> {

AppDomain.CurrentDomain.SetPrincipalPolicy(PrincipalPolicy.WindowsPrincipal)
> ;
> DateTime startTime = DateTime.Now;

Console.WriteLine(Thread.CurrentPrincipal.IsInRole("Everyone").ToString());
> DateTime endTime = DateTime.Now;
> Console.WriteLine("Elapsed time: " +
((TimeSpan)(endTime.TimeOfDay -