RE: Verifying X509Certificate signature

Hi Peter,

As you said that you want some information about verifying X509 certificate
signature, I'd like to confirm what's the exact verification you want.

My understanding is that you may have a X509 certificate which assocate
with a publickey/private key pair( of RSA or DSA encypt provider) and
you've also used the private key to digital signed some data, and want to
verify the data, correct?

If this is the case, generally you will need to do two things here:

1. Retrieve the public/private key from the certificate (in certificate
store of windows)

2. use the key info associated with the certificate to do encryption or
digital sign.

Here are some web articles introducing some code on this:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/security/RSACryptoPad.aspx

and here is a simple test function I've written which include accessing
cert store to retrieve key info in cert and do some RSA signing and
verification:

======================================
private void btnTest_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
RSACryptoServiceProvider rsa;
RSAParameters key;
SHA1CryptoServiceProvider sha = new SHA1CryptoServiceProvider();

bool result;

signSrc = Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes("ABCDEFG");

string tp = "2b6f8ac51a85cbaf429474a55304313968667611";
X509Store store = new X509Store(StoreName.My,
StoreLocation.CurrentUser);
store.Open(OpenFlags.ReadOnly);

X509Certificate2 cert2 =
store.Certificates.Find(X509FindType.FindByThumbprint, tp, true)[0];

store.Close();

rsa = cert2.PrivateKey as RSACryptoServiceProvider;

signDes = rsa.SignData(signSrc, sha);

result = rsa.VerifyData(signSrc, sha, signDes);

MessageBox.Show("valid: " + result);

/** here try exporting the CERT to a exportable file */

byte[] pfx_bytes =
cert2.Export(X509ContentType.Pfx,"Password01!");

//txtContent.Text = Convert.ToBase64String(pfx_bytes);

X509Certificate2 filecert = new X509Certificate2();
filecert.Import(pfx_bytes, "Password01!",
X509KeyStorageFlags.DefaultKeySet);

RSACryptoServiceProvider rsa1 = filecert.PrivateKey as
RSACryptoServiceProvider;

result = rsa1.VerifyData(signSrc, sha, signDes);

MessageBox.Show("valid: " + result);

string expkey = Convert.ToBase64String(rsa.ExportCspBlob(true));

txtExportedKey.Text = expkey;

}

Hope this helps some.

Sincerely,