webfarm + machinekey + crypto/hashing

Hi, we have had an application live in production for 6 months, it
uses crypto/hashing in the following ways:

1- membership provider default password hash

2- membership provider security answer

3- viewstate mac (unknowingly)

4 - byte[] encryptedBytes = ProtectedData.Protect(encodedBytes,
EncryptionEntropy, DataProtectionScope.LocalMachine);

We want to move systems and put them in a webfarm.

We do NOT have machinekey defined in the web.config. Can someone tell
me are we hosed in all these cases? If we add a machine or move
machines, will we be able to hash passwords using same salt, hash
answers using same salt, and the data we have encrypted using #4 be
able to decrypt? What machinekey was used for these by default if we
didnt specify? Is hashing ok, but not encryption?

It seems like we can login on the new system, so somehow the hashing
must be portable....

thanks
Joel

  • Re: NetScreen Password Hash
    ... The netscreens use MD5 hashes with the consonants of the word ... NETSCREEN spelled backwords in the hash. ... password hash or a tool to crack the password hash of netscreen 204 config ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: NetScreen Password Hash
    ... I read somewhere that netscreen inserts consonants of the word 'netscreen' backwards into the hash. ... password hash or a tool to crack the password hash of netscreen 204 config ... Need to secure your web apps NOW? ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] password hash, funny myth in the industry!
  • Re: phpBB Security Bugs
    ... hex digit in the md5 hash, and allows you to guess that digit's particular ... Each digit would be guessed in 16 tries or less. ... determine any particular password hash. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • RE: Threat vector of running a service using a domain account
    ... does send an NT password hash. ... you can capture the pre-authentication traffic, ... That's the beauty of Kerberos, after the initial auth, the password hash ...
    (Security-Basics)