Bad Request <OR> Illegal characters in path

Here is my issue:

1) This is an ASP.NET 1.1 website hosted on Windows2003 Server
2) SP1 for .NET 1.1 is installed
3) I have the .gif extension mapped in IIS to the 1.1 aspnet_isapi.dll
4) I have an httphandler configured for the website:
<add verb="*" path="*.gif" type="myNamespace.myHandler,myHandler"/>

When I make this request:
http://mydomain.com/%2a%2b%2c%29%2e%21%20%28/image.gif

I get an error:
HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request - Bad Request

I then added a registry key as described here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826437

When that registry key exists the error changes to:
HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error - Illegal characters in path

Is there any way to remove the HasIllegalCharacters check so that my handler
can receive the request?

  • Re: Page Cannot Be Displayed Errors
    ... In WFetch, for Advanced Request, change to "Add Headers" and write: ... > directly on the web server, ... >>> Where can I get the IIS 6.0 Resource Kit, and how do I use WFetch? ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: Performance question (IIS 6)
    ... The delay on the first request is due to interaction between IIS process ... You can do this yourself by making a request to the necessary application ... Turn off all the application pool recycling parameters except maybe the ... until you reboot the server. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: Page Cannot Be Displayed Errors
    ... not IIS, but something else. ... >>> directly on the web server, ... >>>>> I have done some additional checking in the logs. ... >>>>> either the request isn't even getting to IIS at this point, ...
    ... "Jesse" wrote in message ... >> In WFetch, for Advanced Request, change to "Add Headers" and write: ... >>> directly on the web server, ... >>>>> Where can I get the IIS 6.0 Resource Kit, and how do I use WFetch? ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: Page Cannot Be Displayed Errors
    ... I have remote access to the server through Remote Desktop, ... Where can I get the IIS 6.0 Resource Kit, and how do I use WFetch? ... following through with the request, ... > It sounds like you are quite close to the webserver. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)