ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider without storing username and password?

Hello;

I am trying to create an ASP login page that authenticates against AD.

Is there any way to setup a connection string in web.config that does not
store a user name and password?

If I do this, it works great, but I need to modify the web.config every time
the password changes:

<providers>
<add connectionStringName="NorthAmericaConnectionString"
attributeMapUsername="sAMAccountName" enableSearchMethods="true"
name="NorthAmericaProvider"
type="System.Web.Security.ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider, System.Web,
Version=2.0.0.0,Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
connectionUsername="username" connectionPassword="mypass"/>
</providers>

As everyone who will be logging in is authorized to search AD, I don't see
why I cannot use the login information from the login form?

Does Microsoft really expect me to either use a non expiring password, or
change all my web.config files on password expiration?

Thanks

Karl

  • Enabling password change via OWA
    ... I am trying to set up password changes via OWA, ... I installed a certificate and enabled SSL. ... so I am assuming I must be missing a VBS library. ... I am connecting to my ssl port and getting a login, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: EXEC master..xp_cmdshell Prevention
    ... > I found that my web application did use a connection string in a file ... > stored procedures for every SQL statement would be impractical. ... I have created a new login account ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Logon failed for user ". but only for membership tables in same database that other request work
    ... Computer A is windows xp sp2 with visual studio 2005. ... local website directory security configured for anonymous access ... The webconfig file has a connection string defined as:Name=LocalSqlServer ... My login page manually reads a table called usrTbl via a stored proceedure ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Secure Folders
    ... them to the login page. ... Simple enough to setup, all of 5 minutes of work. ... > With regards to preventing them accessing an image directly - slightly ... > for some reason decides to take the URL of an image in the secure area, ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general)
  • Re: Terminal illness (OT/CT)
    ... > I have my TP755CD/Dock working super with RedHat6.0. ... I have the same setup with a W98SE ... > the terminal monitor text asks for login and everything works super. ... > With the setup on this machine, when I boot TeraTerm, I get a screen ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware)