Re: Sarting New Process from aspx page

Hello,

if that process would be opened on the users desktop, this would introduce a
security problem, since the process could be accessed with the SendMessage()
and PostMessage() API. Therefore, processes are launched on a special
desktop so no interaction with the desktop is possible.

And since you call the program from a service, which is supposed to run
without an interactively logged-on user, there is no need to display the
window.

Greetings,
Henning Krause

"Wally" <Wally@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Henning
Thanks for the response, Ill check the class out.

Back to my question:

I know the process will start on the server, but why is it not visible
when
viewed at the server. Actually, I have a complete local installation of
IIS,SQL so it should appear on my PC. Why does the bat file not open a
window
and pause there?

Any comments appreciated

"Henning Krause [MVP]" wrote:

Hello,

starting a new process from within an ASP.NET application will start that
application on the server, not on the client. Since it is started from a
service, it is displayes on a special desktop - not the users desktop.

Anyway, if you want to zip files, you should use a class library for
that.
For example SharpZipLib
(http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SharpZipLib/).

Greetings,
Henning Krause

"Wally" <Wally@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I know this is an asp.net question but I've had no answers there.

How do you start a new visible process from a asp.net page?

I can use:

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start ("mspaint.exe");

from Main() in console application and it works fine.

When I put it in the Page_Load procedure of an aspx page, the process
is
started, as viewed from TaskManager, but nothing is visible. I've tried
all
sorts of StartInfo strings, still the same.
I've tried all sorts of applications, including a .bat file with only a
PAUSE statement, still wont open a command window.
What I really want to do is open the winzip command line utility to zip
some
files up, but that seems irrelevant until I can gain control of this
action.

Any ideas would be appreciated

  • Re: Sarting New Process from aspx page
    ... window. ... I know the process will start on the server, but why is it not visible ... it is displayes on a special desktop - not the users desktop. ... I've tried all sorts of applications, including a .bat file with only a ...
  • Re: Word 2008 unable to save .doc files on close (working on network share)
    ... their Windows 2003 file server. ... Staff open & work on files directly off of the server. ... have had luck saving the document as a .docx file to the users desktop, ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • Re: synchronization Question
    ... > By default workstation synchronize with the server.. ... upon the logoff ... > however couple of users desktop still see the old server/domain (we ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Need Utility (EXE) to automate the configuration of OE to new server
    ... >> need to find a utility that we can run on a users desktop to configure ... >> use OE to point to the new exchange server. ... >> for example my identity bsmith points to my iplanet server ...
  • Re: IE & the select tag
    ... but when the page is added to the users desktop (active desktop?) the ... Again if the same page is viewed in an IE window ... the select tag is successfully hidden. ...