Re: ASP.NET Membership - Changing the contract

Hi,

i don't know about which "links" you are talking.

If neither the provider interface nor the controls fit your needs - why do you want to use the provider pattern - it will be more work teaching the provider your new tricks than writing your own authentication/user mgmt library - you have to do that anyways if you write a provider.

my 2c

---------------------------------------
Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
http://www.leastprivilege.com

I want to create a custom provider, that is going to work with an
existing database (I'm not going to use the aspnetdb).  I'm going to
need to provide additional fields in the creation of a new user
account, new fields for changing password and also new fields for the
login.

Let's take the MembershipUser as a sample, I know that I would need to
inherit from MembershipUser and add my custom fields, what's going to
happen with the UserControls?  How am I going to pass the new fields
to my new extended object?

The reason of using the Membership is because I have the feeling that
there is "collaboration" with other new features in VS2005, if I don't
use the Membership, I feel that I'm going to loose more than just the
Membership.  To make an educated decision, anybody knows what are the
"links" between the Membership and other features in VS2005, if any?

Any good advice to approach my problem besides create my own?  I'm
also willing to create my own UI layer and just implement the
Provider, but wish there is a way to reuse the existing Membership
UserControls as much as I can if it makes sense.

Thanks

  • Re: Defining Groups with AD users
    ... For ASP.NET authentication and role based authorization, ... you can configure the membership to use AD ... membership provider and Rolemanager to use SQL server provider. ... Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead ...
  • Re: Defining Groups with AD users
    ... For ASP.NET authentication and role based authorization, ... you can configure the membership to use AD ... membership provider and Rolemanager to use SQL server provider. ... Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead ...
  • Re: MS ADAM: How strategic is a) MS ADAM and b) Authorizaion Manager?
    ... I'm not really sure on all of the details on the AD membership provider as I ... > I hadn't found ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider in any of the TechEd ... I think the issue here is that AzMan is a much ...
  • Re: Replacing VS .NETs SQL Server Express Edition Integration
    ... You could write a custom membership provider. ... You could add the tables you need to your existing database table. ... As for configuring ASP.NET 2.0 membership to connect SQL Server 2000, ...
  • Re: Help with ASP.NET Memberships
    ... Jonathan Wood ... It took me a good bit of research and study to get the ideas behing the ASP.Net Provider Model, and some of the implementations of it which come packaged in the framework, but once I "got it" it became fairly simple to use, and I even ended up writing a Provider of my own which I used for email with Memberships and Roles in an application. ... The difference between Membership and Roles is only one of specificity. ... The Provider pattern dictates that a static class of static methods is the "intermediary" between the application and the actual Provider class implementation. ...