Add extra parameter to Login/Membership - ASP 2.0

From: David Sack (
Date: 10/24/05

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:21:07 -0400

 I hope can explain this properly. I have a time keeping site that host
multiple companies data in a single database. I would like the logins to be
unique for each company but not across the entire site (i.e. I could have
two jsmith logins as long as they are with seperate companies).

  I would like to add a drop down box to the login that allow the user to
select the company that they are with. By adding a "site" column to the
users table I would be able to partition the users so that they would be
authenticated only against the id that has a "site" that matches theirs.

  Does this require creating a custom membership provider? I have written
my own authentication routines in the past and can do so for this projects
but I would really like to leverage the existing membership/role capablility
of ASP2. I'm not sure that I have the skills needed to write a custom
membership provider. I just want to make sure that I wasn't missing