asp.net sql trusted connections between servers

From: Rob (rob_at_nospamforme.com)
Date: 10/21/05

    Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:29:04 -0400

    So we have a client who doesn't want to run a Service Level Account
    (either via an Application Pool or IIS impersonation) and we need to
    connect to a remote SQL Server instance w/ Read-Write permissions. They
    don't want to do it that way due to the maintenance issues with
    passwords in multiple locations.

    We're using an OLE connection to SQL server and currently have the
    username and password obfuscated (not strong encryption) in the
    connection string in the web.config. Looking for a better alternative.

    We've looked into things such as described here:

    http://idunno.org/dotNet/trustedConnections.aspx

    This is a secured, internal app: Where I'm confused is why the standard
    Windows Authentication setting for access via IIS doesn't seem pass the
    users credentials to the SQL Server (even with impersonate=true in
    web.config). Ideally we just wanted to have read-write windows group and
    add users that way. The connection to SQL with impersonation and Windows
    Authentication remains either IIS or the Application Pool Identity?

    So, two questions:

    1. is this impersonation behavior with IIS and Windows Authentication
    documented anywhere (need to show them via a reliable source this
    doesn't work beyond the fact that its not working)

    2. Short of encrypting the user connection information in the registry
    (also a maintenance hassle) are there any other options?

    many thanks,

    Rob

    • Re: asp.net sql trusted connections between machines
      ... > connect to a remote SQL Server instance w/ Read-Write permissions. ... > connection string in the web.config. ... > Windows Authentication setting for access via IIS doesn't seem pass the ... is this impersonation behavior with IIS and Windows Authentication ...
    • asp.net sql trusted connections between machines
      ... So we have a client who doesn't want to run a Service Level Account (either via an Application Pool or IIS impersonation) and we need to connect to a remote SQL Server instance w/ Read-Write permissions. ... We're using an OLE connection to SQL server and currently have the username and password obfuscated in the connection string in the web.config. ... The connection to SQL with impersonation and Windows Authentication remains either IIS or the Application Pool Identity? ...
    • Re: Data View - cant connect to SQL Server
      ... it has nothing to do with IIS. ... authenticating with SQL Server (Mixed or Windows authentication). ... to see your Connection String to make any further diagnosis. ...
    • Re: Why is my web site so slow?
      ... I've seen that happen once when I set the performance property in IIS ... > web site that generates pages from our sales database of around 1k per ... > quicker (512K upstream connection with zero people on it makes me think ... Is Windows Authentication creating too much overhead? ...
    • windows auth/ntfs permissions not prompting for user details
      ... Having an irritating issue using windows authentication, impersonation and ntfs permissions on my web application. ... Is it possible for corruption somewhere in IIS or windows 2K server becuase it's odd how the exact same setup should react differently on two machines. ...
      (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)