Session State vs. What?

From: David Lozzi (dlozzi_at_(removethis)delphi-ts.com)
Date: 07/21/05

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:52:08 -0400

Howdy,

I just learned how to use Forms Authentication. yeah me! However, it is
quite limited as to how much information you can store and retrieve from it.
For example, in my past ASP and ASP.NET applications I have used the session
state to store a user's IS, Fullname, security level, email and some other
minor items. How is that to be done without Session state?

Here is one possible scenario I thought of: with the Forms Auth. having the
username, query the SQL database everytime a page is loaded (or whenever
necessary) to pull the user's information as necessary. The bad side to this
is that there will be 'unnecessary' traffic on almost every page. Currently,
for example, I do something like so: If session("SecurityLevel") < 8 then
response.redirect("home.aspx"). Simple enough. With this scenario, I would
have to query the database first then return the security level. More work
for the server, no?

Is there another way? Or is session state the best solution? I remember
reading a few posts that stated using the session state was not a desired
function due to overhead on the server, or something like that. I can
imagine the server would work harder querying the database for a single
number over storing a number in the session state.

I am trying to find the best solution moving forward, assuming Session State
is not it. I appreciate all of your input!

David Lozzi

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Exchange 2003 Private Store Corruption
    ... Information Store First Storage Group: The database page read from ... Online Diagnostic Utility says "Correctable Memory Threshold Exceeded" ... the server back up and running without the faulty memory installed. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • RE: Test-MapiConnectivity failure on Exchange 2007 in coexistence
    ... the default store location caused the database store failed to mount. ... built-in Exchange server 2007 Database Troubleshooter and Eseutil tool (/mh ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.setup)
  • Exchange 2003 Ops...
    ... Then went and shut down the exchange information store and all ... database was not shutdown cleanly ... MicrosoftExchange Server Database Utilities ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • File Fun
    ... Ok, I'm mulling over different techniques to solve a problem, and ... I'm weighing and experimenting with storing data in a MySQL database ... server somewhere, and just store the path to the file in the DB. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: store will not mount
    ... of the database not being at the same service pack level of the server. ... "TOM WELLS" wrote in message ... >>until the store has been mounted at least once. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange2000.information.store)