Re: Writing ASP.NET errors to the NT Applicaion Event Log

From: Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor] (dbaier_at_pleasepleasenospamdevelop.com)
Date: 05/14/05

Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 00:58:32 -0700

Hello Brad,

it all depends under which account your app is running - as you can see,
Service Accounts are allowed to write to the Application Log - but not custom
accounts, by default.

But it is true - you cannot create an Event Source as non admin.

Write a little console app the pre-creates it and run it as admin.

---------------------------------------
Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
http://www.leastprivilege.com

> Our aspx apps write to the Application event log on w2k3 server and we
> didn't have to change anything. Are you by chance trying to specify
> the Source property of the event? If so, you basically want to create
> the Source value as a valid event source in advance. Once you do that
> it should work without any permission changes.
>
> "Graham Harris" <ng@bmsgharr.globalnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> I have some code that presents the user with an error if my web
>> application errors. I would like to write the same information to the
>> NT Application Event log. The problem is that Windows 2003 Server
>> does not allow IIS ASP.NET to write to the event log. What do I need
>> to do to allow this?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Graham Harris

Relevant Pages

  • =?UTF-8?B?UmU6IE3DoW5oIG11bmcgY+G7p2EgdGjhurFuZyDEgm4gY+G6r3Agc8OhY2ggYWthIEVzcQ==?= =?UTF-8
    ... Business News: Apple iTunes Store Accounts Hacked by ... category of the App Store in an effort to artificially inflate the ...
    (soc.culture.vietnamese)
  • Re: Blue screen of death at every reboot
    ... If you have an AV app and you received viri then your AV app is'nt worth a ... > When I got all these viruses, my PC just got over loaded, gave up and went ... > attached the infected HDD. ... > accounts from another HDD? ...
  • Getting a users domain from the active directory
    ... I have an application where the client wants AD integration. ... The application is a webservices based app where the desktop client polls a webservice to ... The client wants to only manage accounts via the AD. So if they create a new AD user then the ... app should automatically create a user in the app database. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
  • RE: App cant write to EventLog on Windows Server 2003
    ... If you are writing to an event source of "MyApp" in the ... App can't write to EventLog on Windows Server 2003 ... >2000 Server but when I try to run it on Windows 2003 Server I ... >rather than a custom log but the problem still occurs. ...
  • Re: iPad multiple accounts?
    ... You can set up multiple mail accounts on the iPad, ... the iPad as a whole has no concept of "user accounts". ... which should work with Skype (once ... Skype update their app). ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)