Authentication popup comes up for Anonymous allowed app

From: Hiten (
Date: 04/21/05

    Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:10:08 -0700

    I have a web application on windows 2000 advanced server having
    latest security updates installed and .net framework 1.1. with latest patch.

    Eventhough application is configured to allow anonymous, when I try to
    access the application using its IP address, it shows a dialog asking login
    and password. If i cancel it, it displays the web page. On each postback, it
    again displays the dialog box. Also, the page having custom control does not
    display the control at all.

    Anybody has any idea what could be wrong?