Re: Restricting IP Address

From: Joseph MCAD (anonymous_at_microsoft.discussions.com)
Date: 04/13/05

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 06:07:02 -0700

April 13, 2005

   I looked into hosting my own web site on my server that I have, but I too
needed a static IP and haven't bought one yet. The reason that you must buy
them in packs is because you need one for the router, dns, something,
something, maybe another something, and then finally your web server. So out
of the 6, you only get 1 that is "usable" for your server. After you go
above six then you get all of them usable, except the first five or so. I
would give IIS your Lan address and be sure to put "permit only" in IIS.
This is assuming that the web server is on the same LAN. Then just have your
Network Admin set a "static" LAN IP address for your computer that will be
accessing the web site. This will allow your computer's IP address to not
change and therefore can be set in stone in IIS. Just right click on your
Network Connection again (like in the last post) and the click properties.
You should then select TCP/IP in the listbox and the click properties. There
you can set any IP address that you want within the range your router can
handle. Just put the router and DNS as the same IP address unless you have
it otherwise. The subnet mask is generally provided for you. Your web server
doesn't need a static IP address to do what you want. :-) Hope this helps!

                                                       Joseph MCAD

"wrytat" <wrytat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you.
>
> Our computers that can access the Internet is connected in a Local Area
> Network, and then this network I think is connected to the Internet. So,
> do I
> provide my web hosting company the IP address of the machine on the LAN or
> other IP address so that they can help us restrict access to the website
> by
> IP using IIS?
>
> And does my company need to invest on a static IP address? Our company is
> currently using a dynamic one. Does that mean it will change all the time
> and
> IIS won't be able to do the task?
>
> Our local telecommuncations company does not sell only 1 static IP. We
> have
> to buy a bundle of 2 or 6 or 14 or 30 and so on. What's the use of getting
> so
> many IP? Isn't 1 enough? And how would I know which is used for the
> Internet
> connection?
>
> I'm sorry~ I'm really ignorant of all these things.
>

> "Joseph MCAD" wrote:
>
>> April 12, 2005
>>
>> You can do it in code by using the Request.UserHostAddress. You can
>> then
>> either specify your IP address in code or in a configuration file. If you
>> are on an intranet, then just ask your Network Administrator for your
>> internal IP Address. If you are the Network Admin, then try finding your
>> IP
>> address listed under the IP addresses listed in your router or network
>> switch that you go through. In my router it says the IP address with the
>> computer name so that I can identify it. You can also right click on your
>> intranet connection in the Network Connections section of your control
>> panel, and then click properties. Then click the Status tab and it should
>> list it there, but you might have to click Details. I can do this for
>> mine,
>> and I hope this will help you and have a great day!
>>
>> Joseph MCAD
>>

>> "wrytat" <wrytat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'd like to restrict access to part of my web application based on IP
>> > addresses so that only my company's computer can access. I understand
>> > that
>> > IIS Manager has a security feature to restrict access based on IP
>> > addresses.
>> > Does my company have to invest on a STATIC IP address, so that IIS can
>> > identify his IP? Am I right to say that a dynamic IP can't do the job?
>> > How do I know the IP address, so that I can provide to my web host then
>> > they
>> > can configure the IIS settings to restrict this IP?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Outgoing POP3 email missing/lost/not received
    ... Funny thing is that I have had this ISP for 8 years and it has always been ... It looks like when you last ran CEICW, you set the ISP's mail server to: ... Internet Connection Wizard. ... After the wizard completes, the following network connection ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Outgoing POP3 email missing/lost/not received
    ... ISP's mail server instead of the domain name on the ... SUMMARY OF SETTINGS FOR CONFIGURE E-MAIL AND INTERNET ... Internet Connection Wizard. ... After the wizard completes, the following network connection ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Problems with Permissions
    ... And SBS server is only take ... the role of an internal server. ... they are all configured to connected to internal network. ... g. Run the Configure Email and Internet Connection Wizard on SBS server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Connection from remote computer to network SQL Server
    ... There is no firewall on the W2K machine acting as the SQL server. ... I tried making the SQL machine a "trusted" on the router. ... connection works. ... To find the IP address of your computer inside the network, ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)
  • Re: Networking Question - VLANs on SBS 2003 Premium SP1
    ... be sure you do not enable any DHCP server in internal network. ... You do not get any issue when you connect the SBS to the old router, ... On the Connection Type page, click Broadband, and then click Next. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)