Re: Custom Error pages

From: Ken Schaefer (kenREMOVE_at_THISadopenstatic.com)
Date: 01/27/05

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 23:39:54 +1100

You can attempt to customise the page (and IIS will send the customised
page - you can check using network sniffer), but it is up to the browser to
decide what to display. Most (if not all) browsers will *not* display custom
content when the HTTP status from the server is 401 - they will either
display a logon dialogue box -or- they will display an "access denied" error
message (after three, or whatever, failed attempts). This is a security
measure on the part of the browser.

What you would need to do is intercept the 401.2 HTTP status, and change it
to something else (eg 200 OK), and then you can server whatever content you
want.

Cheers
Ken

"Rich" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have a windows authenticated web site - a sub directory
> has been secured by denying various roles. When access is
> denied the default error page for 401.2 is displayed -
> How can I customise my own access denied page?
> I have tried custom error tags in the web.config but that
> doesnt seem to work, nor does changing the IIS error page
> settings.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Cheers,
> Rich

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Customising Pure 403 Error Page
    ... browsers you can not choose what the browser displays (you can customise the ... display to the user). ... if the server sends back a 401 error the 4th time, ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: identify disabled users and bad bad passwords
    ... it doesn't really matter if you customise those files - ... it's up to the browser to decide what to display, ... >> But the security event log did give the specific failure reasons. ... >> I suppose to be able to customize the HTTP error messages by mapping a ...
  • customising dnserror.html
    ... I want to be able to customise the standard dnserror.html page that ... but the local server needs to stop the web server each ... customised one to display our company logo, ...
  • Re: Run Box Disappeared
    ... select Properties and then Customise. ... On that screen enable 'Display Run' - OK your way out. ... Will Denny ... MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Locked User Accounts On IIS 5.0
    ... You can create a customised 401 error page BUT it is up to the browser to ... decide what to display to the user. ... Access Denied message that you see - you can't customise that. ...