Re: Role based security - where are permissions/operations ?

From: A Mackie (andrew_at_mackie14.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: 10/21/04

    Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 07:48:43 -0700

    Joe Kaplan (MVP - ADSI) wrote:

    > It sounds like the storage of the data is still your biggest issue. Perhaps
    > using ADAM would work if AD isn't available though. It is free to
    > redistribute with server 2K3, so perhaps you could off that as an option.
    > It would make sense for AzMan to support storing the policy data in SQL
    > though.

    Yes, storage of data is a significant issue. ADAM might be a possibility, but SQL Server would be better.

    Leaving AzMan aside, my conclusion about standard .NET "role based security" is that it isn't actually suitable for proper role based access control at all. The reasoning is that it doesn't provide a means to assign permissions/operations to user-defined roles at run-time, or allow administrators to dynamically change those role-permission assignments. Is that a valid conclusion ?

    Thanks,
    Andy Mackie

    • Re: Creating a Computer Object in ADAM
      ... I've never replicated an ADAM ... Win 2003 server down to my instance, but fails from my XP instance ... 'The attempt to establish a replication link for the following writable ... Source directory service address: ...
    • Re: Creating a Computer Object in ADAM
      ... I'm going to guess and say that the ADAM service account doesn't have the ... the name changed server and its partners to see status. ... Starting test: CrossRefValidation ... Running partition tests on: Schema ...
    • RE: SBS 2003 Unable to connect to database STS_Config
      ... Uninstall the SQL server from the SBS 2k3 server from add/remove programs ... Uninstall Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (SHAREPOINT) ... If AV software install any extra IIS virtual directory, ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Memory issues with 64-bit SQL Server 2005 on 64-bit Win 2003 C
      ... I also checked the individual patch levels for the .NET drivers, SQL Server ... The SQL Server is fully patched, however Windows Update reported that the OS ... Lock pages in memory -- I guess you might have taken care of it as well. ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.clustering)
    • RE: migrating from wmsde to sql server
      ... Click Start, point to All Programs\Microsoft SQL Server, and then click ... then click New SQL Server Registration. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)