Re: SQL User authentication

From: Mary Chipman (mchip_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 10/19/04

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:15:54 -0400

Yes, you can store this information in your SQL Server. The technique
is described in the ASP.NET security best practices whitepaper, which
is a free download from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=44047

--Mary

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 16:20:09 +0300, "Nikolay Petrov"
<johntup2@mail.bg> wrote:

>Is it possible to authenticate user using a SQL database, containing users
>and passwords?
>
>What I want to achive is:
>I have as SQL database containig data for my app. This database also
>contains usernames, passwords and rights which are specific for my app.
>Also I have a middle tier WebService, which contains the business logic of
>my app, and is responsible for connecting to SQL database.
>The connection between SQL server and the WebService as made with hardcoded
>user. I don't need to authenticate the Users with SQL server.
>As a frontend I have a Windows Froms and ASP .NET applications.
>The users should fill username/password boxes, then this information is to
>be passed to the WebService, which checks the username and password in the
>SQL database.
>I want the WebService methods to be available only to users, which have
>authenticated to the user database in SQL server.
>

>Any ideas, sample code and documents of how to implement this would be
>greatly appreciateble.
>I use VB .NET
>
>Thank you in advance!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Total Newbie - Maintainenance of SQL Database
    ... If you are having a consultancy migrate/install this packaged solution then ... > exactly is involved in maintaining/supporting a SQL database? ... > intend to run on SQL server. ... > The only maintenance I do on the Access version is a scheduled nightly ...
    (comp.databases.ms-sqlserver)
  • Re: SQL User authentication
    ... you can store this information in your SQL Server. ... >contains usernames, passwords and rights which are specific for my app. ... and is responsible for connecting to SQL database. ... >The connection between SQL server and the WebService as made with hardcoded ...
  • Re: SQL User authentication
    ... you can store this information in your SQL Server. ... >contains usernames, passwords and rights which are specific for my app. ... and is responsible for connecting to SQL database. ... >The connection between SQL server and the WebService as made with hardcoded ...
  • Re: SQL User authentication
    ... you can store this information in your SQL Server. ... >contains usernames, passwords and rights which are specific for my app. ... and is responsible for connecting to SQL database. ... >The connection between SQL server and the WebService as made with hardcoded ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb)