Re: Setting up secure custom Web Controls

From: cpnet (cpnet_at_nospam.nospam)
Date: 08/09/04

Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 14:04:31 -0400

Ok, thanks. I do realize that stuff in the GAC can be used by all apps, but
my understanding was that if I didn't put stuff in the GAC, then the strong
naming and security attrbutes etc. won't work properly. In other words, I
thought that to be able to use the StrongNameIdentityPermission attribute on
my public methods to ensure only my own assemblies can call these methods, I
had to put my assembiles in the GAC?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Do I have to put assembly using COM+ transaction in GAC?
    ... it has to be signed but not in the GAC. ... |I am currently working on .net 1.1 and want to use COM+ Transaction. ... as per my understanding NO. ... | to put assemblies using COM+ transaction in GAC. ...
  • Re: .NET versioning
    ... >> If this isn't dll hell then it's awfully close. ... > xcopy deployment, which thus means avoid the GAC if possible. ... > 2) if required, and if you really have to, copy the files to the GAC. ... If you overwrite assemblies in the GAC ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework)
  • Re: GAC hell
    ... The only way to get at the GAC is by calling into the unmanaged fusion API's. ... Beware that the GAC uses fully qualified assembly names to store assembly references, because you don't know whether an assembly resides in the GAC, you also don't have a FQAN, this may result in false positives! ... But we've gotten so far off topic here, we're nowhere near my original question anymore, which had to do with determining which referenced assemblies are in the GAC and which are not. ... So, please if you have a small but complete sample that uses the Microsoft.Vsa namespace to generate/compile/Run "VBScript" and "JScript" scripting code, feel free to post it here. ...
  • Re: Please explain why the GAC cannot be referenced
    ... Gac assemblies show up under the reference tab. ... Look through you referenced assemblies for the name of the assembly, ... Gac'd assemblies provide that function for you and the search order for assemblies starts at the gac to reduce performance issues. ... > old assembly from the GAC and install the newer version. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework)
  • Re: Biztalk 2004 deployment problem
    ... installed in the GAC before they can be a part of a running BizTalk ... Each computer contains a GAC which must contain the assemblies that are ... BizTalk Server to process messages during run time, you must install all ... you can use the BizTalk Deployment Wizard to deploy ...
    (microsoft.public.biztalk.general)