Best way to secure binary files

From: Janaka (janaka_at_magicalia.com)
Date: 07/07/04

Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 11:26:15 +0100

I've got certain report files on my admin section that i'd like to secure.
What is the best method of doing this on the web server? These could be any
type of file other than a web form - i.e. pdf, word, excel, ppt, etc.
They'll be in their own directory on the server. I am already using Forms
Authentication to allow access for administrators.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Nested PHP
    ... And at the third level I can set SQL permissions so that if a program bug renders than accessible, they cant be loaded with the SQL permissions the user has either. ... Simply uploading malware into the web server hierarchy wont change the way the site behaves. ... Code has to be uploaded through a custom interface that isn't even on the same site as the web server, and all code changes can be recorded in the same database. ... Code and data are separately modified through secure programs designed to allow just enough access to do the job. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • RE: VS 2008, IIS and Vista debugging
    ... You need to be an admin to debug another users process.(The ACL setting ... using the user-mode web server, etc.) but we are not recommended that. ... using an interactive user account with its profile loaded, ... Microsoft Online Community Support ...
    (microsoft.public.vsnet.debugging)
  • Re: Please help, directory level protection needed.
    ... > you rely on the Web Server to implement a check to control access. ... >> I am trying to implement a secure software update directory. ... > free download to your software program, ...
  • RE: newbie -how do you defend your decision?
    ... Concerning the Web server, IIS 6 is the most secure Web server available. ... Microsoft solution is the support you get, whether from our MVPs, ...
  • RE: NT/2000 vs Unix based Web Servers
    ... front of the web server as part of this discussion but please also note ... high level of security on it and like everything else we discussed they ... do not come secure 'out of the box'. ... Trustix Secure Linux is a ...
    (Security-Basics)