Pass credentials from one web site to another for seamless login

From: TS (
Date: 06/24/04

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:37:06 -0500

I have a partner company that has a web site that I need to gain access
through the web site in my company. I need to be able to log into my site
and then have somekind of way to then access this other site that also
requires a login in a way that allows me to pass a set of credentials to
this other site which uses those credentials to log me in so that I don't
have to log in again. The credentials that I want to pass would be a
predetermined set of credentials based on the credentials used to login to
my site; one for read only or one for admin priveledges.

I am using windows authentication on my web site, and the other site is
using session authentication using Java and Cold Fusion. The sites are on
different networks at 2 separate companies.

I figure what I can do is pass credentials to one of their web pages that
creates a session for the browser, and authorizes this session as READ ONLY
or Admin and then will redirect to the appropriate place on their site.

Does this sound good or do I need to do something else?

If I use this approach, what are my options to pass these credentials?