Pass credentials from one web site to another for seamless login

From: TS (manofsteele_at_311.com)
Date: 06/24/04

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:37:06 -0500

I have a partner company that has a web site that I need to gain access
through the web site in my company. I need to be able to log into my site
and then have somekind of way to then access this other site that also
requires a login in a way that allows me to pass a set of credentials to
this other site which uses those credentials to log me in so that I don't
have to log in again. The credentials that I want to pass would be a
predetermined set of credentials based on the credentials used to login to
my site; one for read only or one for admin priveledges.

I am using windows authentication on my web site, and the other site is
using session authentication using Java and Cold Fusion. The sites are on
different networks at 2 separate companies.

I figure what I can do is pass credentials to one of their web pages that
creates a session for the browser, and authorizes this session as READ ONLY
or Admin and then will redirect to the appropriate place on their site.

Does this sound good or do I need to do something else?

If I use this approach, what are my options to pass these credentials?

thanks!

Relevant Pages

  • pass credentials from one web site to another
    ... I have a partner company that has a web site that I need to gain access ... this other site which uses those credentials to log me in so that I don't ... predetermined set of credentials, either one for read only or one for admin ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: HTTP 401.2 Error resolving FQDN
    ... manually login via the logon box), so i think that you might get better ... Internet Explorer May Prompt You for a Password ... The user should never be prompted for any credentials. ... each user accessing the web site along with their respective NT credentials. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • RE: IIS asks for credentials when using IP address
    ... we should access the default web site directly. ... Please rerun the CEICW wizard to configure the network and IIS ... 40844314-IIS asks for credentials when using IP address. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Windows authentication
    ... credentials will not hop to 2 different machines. ... The second hop will only work if Kerberos delegation is ... > Explorer directly by typing in the local web site URL using my machines ... > when invoking from the studio. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: Integrated Windows Authentication not working
    ... then the dialog comes up to enter their credentials. ... only web site and no one is behind a proxy server. ... log in, the cert comes up, click on yes, and then it goes straight to the ... > Windows Authentication, then IE will FIRST try to send the credentials ...