Re: User Authentication, Active Directory and more (help)

From: Timothy Parez (tpsoftware_at_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: 06/18/04

    Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 07:26:05 +0200

    Would the following be possible:

    On the Server I could have an XML WebService which takes a windows
    username and password as parameters for a "login" function.
    Can this be done ?

    Thnx
    (Sorry for the endless questions)

    Joe Kaplan (MVP - ADSI) wrote:
    > Ah, forgot that part. I'm not a CF programmer, so I don't know the details,
    > but the Framework reference doesn't say WindowsIdentity is supported on CF,
    > so you may be SOL. My guess is that PocketPC doesn't support Windows
    > security (you don't log onto the domain on one of those, do you?), so that's
    > why it is excluded.
    >
    > I'm not sure what to tell you to do on Pocket PC, sorry. It doesn't even
    > look like any of the classes in System.Security.Principal are in the CF, so
    > you may have to roll your own.
    >
    > Joe K.
    >
    > "Timothy Parez" <tpsoftware@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Joe Kaplan (MVP - ADSI) wrote:
    >>
    >>>Yes, .NET can make use of any Windows account (local machine, NT4 domain
    >
    > or
    >
    >>>AD) for authentication and authorization.
    >>>
    >>>The built-in support for this is in the WindowsIdentity and
    >
    > WindowsPrincipal
    >
    >>>classes. WindowsIdentity represents the Windows user and is basicallly

    >>>wrapper around the Windows login token. WindowsPrincipal contains a
    >>>WindowsIdentity and provides the ability to do role-based authorization
    >>>against a user's Windows groups by calling the IsInRole method with the
    >>>Windows group name. You can get the current WindowsIdentity at any time
    >
    > by
    >
    >>>calling WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent().
    >>>
    >>>The WindowsPrincipal class can be associated automatically with the
    >>>currently executing thread as well. The mechanism for doing this is
    >>>different depending on whether it is an ASP.NET or WinForms/Console app.
    >>>This association allows you to take advantage of the
    >>>PrincipalPermissionAttribute for doing declarative security in .NET.
    >
    > There
    >
    >>>is quite a bit of explanation of this stuff that you can find in MSDN if
    >
    > you
    >
    >>>need specifics, or you can ask here.
    >>>
    >>>Joe K.
    >>>

    >>What about the PocketPC,
    >>how would I fit it into this scenario
    >>because the PocketPC's will be used to scan barcodes and insert items
    >>into the database (with that barcode as the key)

    • Re: XSL and Pocket IE
      ... they never will have a patch to support MSXML3. ... Windows CE 4.2 and PPC 2003 is built on CE 4.2, ... However PocketPC team decided not to take it but to ship ... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...
      (microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer)
    • Re: PocketPC and WindowsCE
      ... Also all the Managed Windows Mobile APIs (Microsoft.WindowsMobile.* will be unavailable. ... Another issue to be aware of is if you use third-party libraries that use P/Invoke into Windows Mobile specific APIs. ... There are a lot of techniques to deal with this, .NETCF 2.0 includes Docking and Anchoring for controls which helps in many situations. ... PocketPC and WindowsCE. ...
    • Re: How to solve TCP connection issue to debug on a PocketPC ?
      ... Note that I don't work with PPC devices, but regular Windows CE devices, so ... ActiveSync connection. ... > I'm currently developping a Windows application for PocketPC with Visual ...
    • Re: Windows CE Toolkits For Visual Basic
      ... Second Windows CE and PocketPC are also not the same thing. ... Since you can't install ... Palm Pilot, then the above methods will not work for you, and you'll pretty ...
      (microsoft.public.vb.controls)
    • Re: Remote Desktop Client for Pocket PC.
      ... The PocketPC Terminal Services Client is built-in to the Windows Mobile 2003 OS and the factory ... your running a PPC 2002 Upgraded device, ie. like an iPAQ 3835, you can download a client from... ... The PocketPC TSC does *NOT* allow you to address a different port than the default ... TCP Port 3389. ...