Re: Problem reading encrypted credentials from registry

From: Microsoft Newsgroups (afroio_at_cmins.com)
Date: 06/08/04

Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 10:47:53 -0700

Hi,

I'm getting the same error. I have it working fine on a Windows 2000
server, but I get the same error Matthew does when I do the same thing on
Windows 2003.

Adam

"Matthew" <mhiklem(at)mimh(dot)edu> wrote in message
> ----- David Coe, MCP wrote: -----
>
> The user that you are running ASP.NET as (ASPNET, or some customer
user) will need to have access to the registry to read it.
> ----------------------
> I am running IIS 6 and Server 2003 so I set the "NETWORK SERVICES" account
to have read access (I also tried full access). I checked the processes and
ASPNET was not running but I tried ASPNET as well (with both read and full
access) and the same error. I also tried to give permissions to all of the
users of the running processes and still had the same error. I tried
anonomous as well and still the same error.

> Below is the system.web section of my web.config file. If I comment out
the identity section it works correctly. When it is not commented out the
error message also points directly to the line that begins the identity
section so that seems to be the problem.

> Do I need to set permissions in some place other than the registry? What
else do you suggest?

> Thanks, Matthew
>
> <system.web><compilation defaultLanguage="vb" debug="true" /><customErrors
mode="RemoteOnly" /><authentication mode="Windows" /><identity
impersonate="true"

userName="registry:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MY_SECURE_APP\Identity\ASPNET
_SETREG,userName"

password="registry:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MY_SECURE_APP\Identity\ASPNET
_SETREG,password" /><authorization><allow users="*" /><!-- Allow all
users --></authorization><trace enabled="false" requestLimit="10"
pageOutput="false" traceMode="SortByTime" localOnly="true" /><sessionState
> mode="InProc"
> stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424"
> sqlConnectionString="data
source=127.0.0.1;Trusted_Connection=yes"
> cookieless="false"
> timeout="20"
> /><globalization requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8" /
> </system.web>

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Problem reading encrypted credentials from registry
    ... Oops -- meant to say that I have it running fine on Windows XP, ... ASPNET was not running but I tried ASPNET as well (with both read and full ... users of the running processes and still had the same error. ... > Do I need to set permissions in some place other than the registry? ...
  • RE: Who is may ASP.NET app supposed to run as?
    ... II5.x: ASPNET ... Cubicle Wars - http://www.windwardreports.com/film.htm ... Windows 2003 or is it just around because some apps assume it exists ... My ASP.NET app is running under IUSR_SERVERNAME. ...
  • Re: problem with running .aspx files on remote server. Urgent help needed.
    ... If you installed IIS before .Net you need to enable aspnet. ... On Windows Server 2003, this is done by installing ASPNet under Windows Components, on Windows XP, run aspnet_regiis -i where aspnet_regiis.exe is located in ... I am able to run .aspx files on local system, but when I load them to the server, I get the "Server Error in '/' Application" error. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
  • DllImport on framework 1.1, in IIS 6 (Windows Vista)
    ... I have an aspnet 1.1 application that works perfectly on Windows XP, ... When trying on Windows Vista (set application for aspnet 1.1 on IIS), the application crashes Internet Explorer with the message: ... I found that the errors is caused when accessing a method from an external dll. ...
  • Re: Access Denied Temporary ASP.NET files
    ... ASPNET, so all the security experiments I was making were ... >SERVICE account, unless you have modified the settings. ... >> I have a web service which is working on a Windows XP ...