Role based security and Domains

From: Sammy_63 (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 05/19/04

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 16:36:02 -0700

Does any one know how to find my windows domain name with .Net ?

Here's what I'm trying to do, I'm implementing role based security by calling WindowsPrincipal.IsInRole. This requiers the group names to be passes as DOMAINNAME/GROUPNAME. I use the same group names at all the installations but the domain names are obviously diffrent at seach site. I'm trying to avoid hardcoding or manually configuring the domain name for each site.

I'd like to do something like this:

AppDomain.CurrentDomain.SetPrincipalPolicy(PrincipalPolicy.WindowsPrincipal)

Dim Prin as WindowsPrincipal
prin = Thread.CurrentPrincipal

domainName = get_domain_name()
bAuthenticated = prin.IsInRole(domainName & "\" & GroupName)

I tried SystemInformation.UserDomainName.ToString() But it returns the server name not the domain name.

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Sam

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Radius Authentication
    ... Ive read before that there has to be a user on the local server with ... Radius server, ... Windows domain account (if the name contains spaces then refer to the ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Sanity check - Exchagne DB limits
    ... All *standard Windows Domain tools* do allow you to select all options - the *SBS Wiards* may well not - these are designed to simplify configuration for admins with little experience. ... e.g. if you have difficulty adding a user without a wizard then adding a second server to a domain isn't something you would be doing in the first place. ... in that when you are creating a user, you do not get an option as to what Exchange server, or mailbox store to put the user's mailbox in. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Internal DNS suffix same as external
    ... > My predecessor in this organization here set up the Windows domain in ... > The external web server for the org is www.castle.com. ... COCONUT and castle.com are separate names. ... COCONUT has nothing to do with DNS registration. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: help with domains
    ... please am a newbie to all this active directory and windows domain ... by your own admission a "newbie" to AD and domains. ... what we want to do is use a third server running ... do active directory stuff for each user, ...
  • Re: User can login with ANY password
    ... After changing the password on the NT Server, ... Microsoft Networks properties - and check the "Log on to Windows ... I noticed that if I checked the "Log on to Windows Domain" check ... >> map drives and stuff WITHOUT the proper NT credentials! ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)