Re: Impersonated login to web service from outside domain

From: Paul Glavich [MVP - ASP.NET] (glav_at_aspalliance.com-NOSPAM)
Date: 05/11/04

Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 22:23:24 +1000

Not sure but here is an educated guess.

I am assuming you are on Win2000 or better and are using Kerberos protocol.
The account you are using is marked for delegation and thus succeeds when
the client is part of the domain group.

When not part of the domain group, no KDC (Key Distribution centre) can be
located to grant authentication tickets that can also be delegated, so the
integrated windows auth fails.

You can try creating an identical local user on the server (as the one you
are using on the client - same id/pwd) but while this may successfully
authenticate on the web user and show the user id you are expecting, the
next call to the web service (ie. the process requiring the credentials to
be delegated may fail) as it will probably drop back to NTLM if no KDC can
be found, and NTLM does not support delegation.

Any other windows server gurus care to clarify? Ken...?

--
- Paul Glavich
Microsoft MVP - ASP.NET
"uggis" <trond@stay-norge.no> wrote in message
> I'm having trouble connecting to a web service through a web server,
> when using a client not part of the same domain as the servers.
>
> The setup is as follows:
> A client connects to a web server configured with windows
> authentication and impersonate enabled. The web server connects to a
> web service (also windows authentication) on a different server also
> on the domain. The impersonated user?s credentials are used when
> connecting to the web service (accomplished by apiService.Credentials
> = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials). This works fine as
> long as the client computer is part of the same domain as the two
> servers. However, if the client is not part of the domain (logs on to
> the domain using the standard windows pop up) the following error is
> displayed:
>
> There was an error downloading 'path/Service.asmx'
>
> When I view the User.Identity.Name and the
> System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent().Name on the web
> server, they both show the correct impersonated user, both when using
> a client from outside the domain and when using one inside the domain.
>
> The impersonated user is shown correctly on the web service server?s
> log, when the client on the domain is used:
>
> 2004-05-10 13:34:30 xx.xx.47.7 GET Service.asmx - 80 domain\username
> xx.xx.47.84
Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+MS+Web+Services+Client+Protocol+1.1.4322.
573)
> 200 0 0
>
> No user is shown in the logs when a client outside the domain is used:
>
> 2004-05-10 13:34: xx.xx.47.7 GET Service.asmx - 80 - xx.xx.47.84

Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+MS+Web+Services+Client+Protocol+1.1.4322.
573)
> 401 2 2148074254
>
> Can anyone tell me why this happens? Is there a reason for the two
> behaving differently? It seems to me that DefaultCredentials does not
> get hold of the credentials when a client from outside the domain is
> used. Is this correct? Is there a way to get around this problem?
>
> Any help is appreciated
> -uggis-

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ADFS Development Issues
    ... One thing to keep in mind is that if a website is protected by ADFS V1, ... site to be automatically authenticated by our windows application so ... like a web service proxy. ... generated on the server. ...
  • RE: Printing from Win9x clients stops
    ... Open Server Management. ... then right-click the name of the computer running Windows Small Business ... >From the client computer: ... The Select Network Component Type ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Printing from Win9x clients stops
    ... The printers with 9x drivers on the server appeared automatically in the ... > then right-click the name of the computer running Windows Small Business ... > From the client computer: ... The Select Network Component Type ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Still Need desperate help to start with ASP NET - simplified problems - HELP!!
    ... You could do it as a web service. ... The handler can draw on the webservice for information and db lookup. ... IE posts data AJAX to handler on web server ... featured application (say thick client) which does a lot of complicate ...
  • Re: ADFS Development Issues
    ... site to be automatically authenticated by our windows application so ... based on redirects and possibly uses forms-based authentication to collect ... web service proxies don't handle this type of thing ... the server based on how it needs to work. ...