Re: Password Change Prompt breaks ASP.NET pages

From: Ken Schaefer (kenREMOVE_at_THISadOpenStatic.com)
Date: 04/21/04

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:12:21 +1000

Hi,

This is an unusual situation (though I'm sure there's a rational
explanation). Normally for security related events you'd be seeing Access
Denied type errors if passwords weren't synched. I'm wondering if your web
app is going some kind of redirect or similar when it encounters an
authentication error, and the page it's redirected to does not exist?

How are the users changing their passwords? Via the web app? or via some
other method (e.g. from withing Windows security dialogue itself)?

Can you check the IIS webserver logfiles, and check which the log entries
around the 404 request? Can you post a sample 404 request, and perhaps a
couple of requests before it, and a couple after (the ones that work when
you hit "refresh")?

Cheers
Ken

"Rob Edwards" <RobEdwards@Landam.com> wrote in message
: I've turned off Show Friendly HTTP Errors...
:
: The error message is indeed an HTTP 404 File Not Found.
:
: Thanks for the help,
: Rob
:
: "Ken Schaefer" <kenREMOVE@THISadOpenStatic.com> wrote in message
: news:OHeUvOuJEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
: > Can you confirm a couple of things?
: >
: > a) If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser, you have disabled
: > "Show Friendly HTTP Errors" in Tools -> Internet options -> Advanced?
: >
: > b) on the "Page can not be found" error, you see HTTP 404 File Not Found
: > (you may need to disable Show Friendly HTTP errors to see this). Or do
you
: > see some other HTTP status code?
: >
: >
: >
: > Cheers
: > Ken
: >
: >
: > "Rob Edwards" <RobEdwards@Landam.com> wrote in message
: > news:%23kgILGuJEHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
: > : My apologies for not being more specific...
: > :
: > : "Start to break" means the pages will not be displayed. I enter the
URL
: > in
: > : the browser and am prompted for basic authentication. After typing in
: > the
: > : domain/username + password the error is:
: > :
: > : "The page cannot be found."
: > :
: > : If I click Refresh, the page is correctly displayed.
: > :
: > : On some of the other pages, clicking Refresh does not resolve the
issue.
: > :
: > : When I run the applications on my workstation (of course the web
server
: > is
: > : the same machine) no errors occur. It only happens once the web sites
: > are
: > : pushed to the web server.
: > :
: > : Thanks for taking the time to repond.
: > :
: > : Rob
: > :
: > : > (PS, I am assuming that when you say "2003 Network" you are running
: > : > Windows 2003 Domain, at 2003 Functional Level)
: > :
: > : Your assumptions are correct. We have a Windows 2003 Doman at a 2003
: > : Functional Level.
: > :
: > : Once I click Refresh, the page appears
: > : "Ken Schaefer" <kenREMOVE@THISadOpenStatic.com> wrote in message
: > : news:u5uKe7tJEHA.2680@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
: > : > Please define "Start to break"? Do you see errors? What are they? Do
: > you
: > : > get
: > : > nothing? Do you get something, but not what you expect?
: > : >
: > : > (PS, I am assuming that when you say "2003 Network" you are running
: > : > Windows 2003 Domain, at 2003 Functional Level)
: > : >
: > : > Cheers
: > : > Ken
: > : >
: > : >
: > : > "Rob Edwards" <RobEdwards@Landam.com> wrote in message
: > : > news:%23gr32BtJEHA.892@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: > : > : Our network policy is that passwords must be changed every 90
: > days...
: > so
: > : > 14
: > : > : days before the password expires the user begins to get prompted
: > : > change
: > : > : their password....once this prompt begins, most of the web
: > applications
: > : > I
: > : > : have written in Visual Studio .NET begin to break. On some of
them,
: > if
: > : > the
: > : > : user clicks "Refresh" then the page will open correctly... on
: > others,
: > : > the
: > : > : pages refuse to load.
: > : > :
: > : > : The pages use basic authentication.... the web server is Windows
: > 2003..
: > : > we
: > : > : are a 2003 network using Kerberos... the Web Server uses
: > impersonation
: > : > : (which is why we use basic authentication) to access the SQL
: > servers.
: > : > :
: > : > : Any thoughts or ideas?
: > : > :
: > : > :
: > : >
: > : >
: > :
: > :
: >
: >
:
:

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Re[2]: Lotus Notes - Is this a bad thing?
    ... Only the Notes security counts if only port 1352 is ... I agree that noone should be able to connect by HTTP to ... that particular server but if users are allowed to set their own passwords ... odds are that HTTP and Notes passwords will be the same for some users. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Outlook RPC over HTTp deosnt work
    ... try to use RPC over HTTP to connect the Exchange Server. ... What SBS is running on the problematic Server? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: RPC over HTTP
    ... I will help you with the PRC over Http issue in this thread. ... and go through the Internet option. ... On the Web Server Certificate page shows. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: RPC over HTTP
    ... Are there any other ways of configuring the RPC over HTTP? ... Outlook Web Access, Business Website and so on. ... On the Web Server Certificate page shows. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: MSAS Licensing Part II
    ... wish to use http access then you must have Enterprise Edition. ... PTS looks at the server name. ... You will note that all of this is totally transparent to the client. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.olap)