2 sites - 1 authentication method

From: Chris (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 04/20/04

Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:36:05 -0700

We have developed two sites that both use forms authentication and have objects with custom principle interfaces and identity interfaces. I would like to use the same principals for both sites and load behind the scenes.

I have tried the following scenario:
1) Create a web service that automtically takes the credentials, loads the custom principal, and redirects the user in the new site. This of course...has a few drawbacks.

Is there a better method or best practices for doing this?....such as setting a cookie on one site....then overriding the page object to allways look for it and load the principal on each page. It seems that this might be a better way to maintain credentials between the two applications?

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,
Chris