Re: Windows authorization problem

From: Marc Thompson ("Marc)
Date: 03/11/04

    Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:52:44 -0500

    I figured it out:

    The DC's IIS was using pointing to a UNC for its content. Thus it would
    only use whatever the "Connect As" profile was in this situation. I then
    switched the content to 'local' and the web.config is processed as expected.

    Thanks!

    "Marc Thompson" <(NO SPAM) my email address is marc at sycron dot com> wrote
    in message news:e#o71ouBEHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Hi there!
    >
    > Here is the situation, I have a Web app currently running on a W2k3 server
    > machine. Note: this machine isn't the DC. I am using the following in my
    > web.config file:
    >

    > <identity impersonate="false" />
    >

    > <authentication mode="Windows" />
    >

    > <authorization>
    >
    > <deny users="?"/>
    >
    > <allow users="MyDomain.local\Jimmy"/>
    >
    > <deny users="*"/>
    >
    > </authorization>
    >

    > The good news is, this works just how I want it to on this machine. Only
    > "Jimmy" is authorized to view this application, no impersonation, everyone
    > else (authenticated or not) isn't authorized and thus can't view this app.
    >
    > Now, when I put this Web App on the Domain Controller (W2k3 server) I get
    > can't get authorized. When I try to authenticate as "Jimmy" I get:
    >

    > Error message 401.2.: You do not have permission to view this directory or
    > page using the credentials you supplied
    >

    > if I change my web.config to:
    >

    > <authorization>
    >
    > <deny users="?"/>
    >
    > </authorization>
    >

    > Then "Jimmy" is successfully authorized to view the app but, so is
    everyone
    > else on my domain. (Not acceptable)
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Both IIS servers have been set up
    the
    > same exact way it just seems like the DC Machine isn't liking the
    > <allow users="MyDomain.local\Jimmy"/>line. Any help would be much
    > appreciated!!!!!!

    • Windows authorization problem
      ... I have a Web app currently running on a W2k3 server ... when I put this Web App on the Domain Controller I get ... When I try to authenticate as "Jimmy" I get: ...
    • Re: VS2008 HTTP 403 Help!!
      ... Highlighting the default.aspx before debug start or explicitly setting Default.aspx to the start page works. ... That's an alleged workaround which doesn't work, not a solution to the bug. ... Seems like the web app project does not default to the ONLY aspx in a project during debug run. ... That error is caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. ...
    • Re: VS2008 HTTP 403 Help!!
      ... the web app project does not default to the ONLY aspx in a project ... Highlighting the default.aspx before debug start or explicitly setting ... That error is caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an ... Check in your IIS Manager, and make sure you created a virtual ...
    • Re: Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 provider is not registered on the local machine
      ... server on your side, I think it is possibly due to the admin scripts are ... By default, IIS 7 ... Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead ... you can try temporarily switch the ASP.NET web app to 32 bit ...
    • Re: Are there good reasons to upgrade to IIS 6.0?
      ... We already have Windows 2000 and IIS 5.0, which is why I put "upgrade" in my ... installed locally to a web app, though, so while it would technically be an ... >>also care about the benefits of using Windows Server ...
      (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)