security policy for many users

From: Kevin Brown (newsgroupid_at_versatilesolutions.com)
Date: 08/13/03

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:20:41 -0700

Why not get passwords set for the domain? Why write
password and user id management into your web applications
when it is already supplied by the OS?
I don't mean to avoid the question but it seems to me you
are going about this the wrong way.
As for the question.
You would have to put the ids and passwords in some form
of storage and the DB is a good idea. Store the passwords
with one of the available one-way hash algorithms. As for
sharing the code to manage a web service means you'll have
to decide how to secure the web service. Also consider
whether you will support things such as expiring accounts,
expiring passwords, password complexity, etc. Also if you
call the web service with a plain text password it could
be a vulnerability issue. I'd seriously consider getting
windows passwords in a domain if possible.