User Authentication Using Custom ISAPI Filter

From: Paul Hounshell (spam_at_hounshell.org)
Date: 05/06/03

Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 16:25:58 -0400

We've authored a small ISAPI filter which handles our user authentication
against an xml file. Now we want to be able to read the user's login in
ASP.NET.

In web.config we set <authentication mode="Windows"/> and in IIS we have
basic authentication on and anonymous access off. When we check the
ServerVariables though, we run into a bit of a problem. The AUTH_USER it
returns is the username that our ISAPI filter mapped the user's login to.
We want AUTH_USER to be the username the user signed in as. AUTH_PASSWORD
is correct in that it's the password that the user entered. What's even
more perplexing is that the correct information is base64 encoded in
ALL_HTTP. I'd use that, but I don't want to go through the effort of
pulling it out if there's a better way.

Any suggestions? Thanks,

--
Paul Hounshell

Relevant Pages

  • RE: User authentication
    ... the domain users from Active Directory. ... create a login dialog box using the Win32 API function ... > Now I want to write an application that offers a user authentication to be ... > 1) My application reads out the user list from Windows domain and offers an ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
  • AccessMembershipProvider and persistent tickets
    ... for webparts, user authentication, etc. ... The login works fine and using the following code: ... Cookie Path: / ... Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can set persistence to true and ...
  • Re: User authentication
    ... > My customers usually use their workstations all together as a kind of ... > Now I want to write an application that offers a user authentication to be ... > 1) My application reads out the user list from Windows domain and offers ... This dialog does not effect the windows login but returns ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
  • Re: ISAPI problem OnAuthentication
    ... siteminder ISAPI filter clears Basic Authentication login information ... It seems that SiteMinder ISAPI filter executes before and after ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • windows authentication..
    ... I'm stuck with a user authentication issue and desperately need some help. ... edit_employee.aspx,only the users in the custom admin group (- ... security settings and is prompted for login. ...