Re: VB .Net Security Question

From: David Allen (dallen@carrieraccess.com)
Date: 02/17/03

From: "David Allen" <dallen@carrieraccess.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 09:40:46 -0700

Well, things go a whole lot better once I installed .Net Framework SP2! I
also got better results once I ensured that it was a WindowsPrincipal object
that I was dealing with (thanks Joe!). I am still finding that there is a
serious lag between the time that I make a change in the group membership,
and the time that the check works correctly and notices it. Is this normal?

- Dave

"Joe Kaplan" <ilearnedthisthehardway@noway.com> wrote in message
> You definitely need the domain name in front of the group if it is a
Windows
> domain group. Are you sure the current principal is a WindowsPrincipal
and
> is a member of that domain group? You can do a quick and dirty imperative
> check in ASP.NET with context.User.IsInRole("DOMAIN\ArtUser").
>
> Joe K.
>
> "David Allen" <dallen@carrieraccess.com> wrote in message
> > Hi:
> > I am working on the middle tier of an enterprise application, and am
> > embedding security checking in it. I am trying to use the following
> snippet
> > of code to check to see if the currently logged-on use is in the group
> > ArtUser. I have tried putting the domain in front of the group name
> > (DOMAIN\ArtUser) and that didn't work. I can make this code work just
fine
> > if I use on of the BUILTIN groups like BUILTIN\Users, and it works fine
> > using Name := and the user's name. Can anyone help me out with this? Am
> > missing something that is just blatently obvious?
> >
> > <PrincipalPermission(SecurityAction.Demand, Role:="ArtUser")> _
> > Public Function GetArtRefs() As ArtRefs
> >
> > 'returns a collection of artref objects.
> > Dim oRefs As New ArtRefs()
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Dave Allen

Relevant Pages

  • Re: VB .Net Security Question
    ... also got better results once I ensured that it was a WindowsPrincipal object ... serious lag between the time that I make a change in the group membership, ... > is a member of that domain group? ... I can make this code work just ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: LDAP Query
    ... Opposite to most people would think at first thought, group membership ... A compete membership should include ... "normal" domain group ... what groups a specific employee is in. ...
  • Re: VB .Net Security Question
    ... I'll do the imperative check Joe. ... With regards to the current ... > is a member of that domain group? ... I can make this code work just ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: VB .Net Security Question
    ... I'll do the imperative check Joe. ... With regards to the current ... > is a member of that domain group? ... I can make this code work just ...
  • Re: WMI - query AD group membership
    ... What does "domain group membership for the client" mean? ... Do you mean group membership of the user who is logged into box x or what? ... If you're on AD, you should be able to use ADSI, if you're not, the ... is it possible to use Win32 classes to retrieve domain group membership for the client? ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.wmi)