RE: Web Forms Auth fails when rfValidator triggered

From: Patrick C. Cole [MSFT] (patcole@online.microsoft.com)
Date: 02/11/03

From: patcole@online.microsoft.com (Patrick C. Cole [MSFT])
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:08:40 GMT

Jeff,

Couple of questions. Is SmartNavigation enabled for the page? Also, can you provide a repro sample of the page?

Thanks!

Patrick Cole
Microsoft Developer Communities

You assume all risk for your use. 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
--------------------
| From: "Jeff P." <ptakja@corning.com>
| Sender: "Jeff P." <ptakja@corning.com>
| Subject: Web Forms Auth fails when rfValidator triggered
| Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 08:40:26 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
|
| Hi all. Hope you can help me out with the problem I am
| seeing.
|
| I have a simple login page to my intranet-based web. It
| basically has a username field, password field and login
| button. In addition, I have 2 Required Field Validators
| on the page that insure that the username & password
| fields have text in them so I don't waste the database
| access with null data.
|
| Now, when I enter the username & password correctly, the
| authentication works as expected and I am redirected to
| the main page in my application.
|
| If I enter garbage text in BOTH fields, the authentication
| again works as expected. That is a label field is
| displayed that states that authentication failed.
|
| So far, so good.
|
| Now, if I leave either or both fields blank, the validator
| controls do their job and display the "error text" stating
| that the field can't be blank.
|
| Again, so far so good.
|
| Now, if I enter a legitimate username & password, my
| button click event gets fired, user authentication is
| performed, however, I never get redirected to the Main
| Page. Note that this ONLY fails if the required field
| validators (rfd's) are triggered to display their error
| message(s).
|
| If I REFRESH the page, re-enter my username & pwd,
| everthing works fine.
|
| I have enabled the TRACE function and noticed that the
| Authentication ticket (cookie) doesn't get set after the
| rfd's are triggered.
|
| I am puzzled as to why this doesn't work and am stumped on
| how to go about fixing it.
|
| Any help or guidance would be appreciated!
|
| Thanks!
|
| Jeff Ptak
| Corning, Inc.

Relevant Pages

  • Web Forms Auth fails when rfValidator triggered
    ... I have a simple login page to my intranet-based web. ... basically has a username field, ... If I enter garbage text in BOTH fields, the authentication ... controls do their job and display the "error text" stating ...
  • Group headings in datagrid
    ... I have a datagrid of users that displays the company that they work for, ... their username, type of user. ... I would like to display the company name only ... BCD Co Jeff ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol)
  • User name in login
    ... the username that is display in the Start Menu to mine in the USERS area in ... when the screen saver kicks in the user name ... Jeff ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • RE: Web Forms Auth fails when rfValidator triggered
    ... 2002 Microsoft Corporation. ... | Content-Type: text/plain ... | | basically has a username field, ... | | If I enter garbage text in BOTH fields, the authentication ...
  • RE: Adding a virtual FTP folder to IIS
    ... I think we can follow the Form Authentication modal. ... application will use the ASPNET account. ... If we change the username ... Windows identity different from that of the default process identity. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework)