RE: Constant "Configuration Errors"

From: Bassel Tabbara [MSFT] (basselt@online.microsoft.com)
Date: 01/21/03

From: basselt@online.microsoft.com (Bassel Tabbara [MSFT])
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 17:59:31 GMT

Hello Eric,
It seems that you are running into a permission issue. The error shows
access denied to the user who is debugging. You can try to fix the problem
by
giving the appropriate permissions. If you don't know which files needs to
be configured properly, run a tool called FileMon. This tool can be
downloaded
from http://www.sysinternals.com for either 2000, XP, NT or Win 95/98.

File Monitor logs all calls to the hard disk.

To make a good log:

Run the log for the shortest amount of time practical. Setup the scenario
to the point just prior to where the error occurs, launch the logging tool,
repro the error, and shut down the logging tool after several seconds.

The steps for both tools are the same.

1. Launch the tool and select Options/Filter.

a) In the Process Include(s) text box enter aspnet_wp.exe and devenv.exe.
This only monitor calls made by aspnet_wp.

b) Process Include(s) should be empty.

c) In the Path Include(s) textbox enter *.

d) Path Include(s) should be empty.

e) History depth should be 0.

f) All 4 check boxes should be checked.

2. Immediately select Options/Capture Events to STOP logging.

3. Choose Options/Clear Display to wipe the initial entries.

4. Setup the application just prior to the point where you get the error.

5. Choose Options/Capture Events to start logging.

6. Reproduce the error in the application

7. After the error appears, choose Events/Capture Events to stop the
logging.

8. Save the log under File/Save As

Thanks,
Bassel Tabbara
Microsoft, ASP.NET

--------------------
| From: "Eric Newton" <ericnewton76@hotmail.com>
| Subject: Constant "Configuration Errors"
| Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:37:28 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
|
| I get configuration errors constantly when trying to debug an asp.net app
on
| my box at work.
|
| Can anybody shed some light on this? I'm clueless.
|
| NOTE: After 60 seconds I can hear the hard drive thrashng a bit then I can
| run the application again. So it seems that when an exception occurs
during
| debugging something still doesnt get disposed of properly.
|
| I've checked my code throughly and my team members using the same project
do
| not get this problem hardly at all. "Hardly" meaning they've never
| mentioned it.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ArrayList in Eclipse
    ... debugging than stepping through code in a debugger. ... somewhere and examine data in a way not easily done by logging. ... In the *real* world, for the majority of production deployments, there ... badly written app this can be a challenge. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: analysis of java application logs
    ... I leave debugging statements in production code: ... There is one caveat to leaving debug logging in production code; ... On occasion I've used a circular buffer to accumulate tracing information ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: ArrayList in Eclipse
    ... somewhere and examine data in a way not easily done by logging. ... One problem with log debugging is how to turn it on/off on ... instead of designing it as part of the application ... As you say, logging is an essential component of system design, every bit as much as the functional requirements. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Windows Service in C#
    ... Depending on what level of logging you need log4net or the Enterprise Library logging block may be of use. ... I'd start by checking the event log in the application section on the machine where the errors are occuring at just to make sure something hasn't already been logged. ... In this way you can use the debugger against the service in the same way as if you were debugging a standard windows executable. ... This works, but a drawback of this method is that it doesn't allow you to debug the process from the start, so you can miss events you need to see. ...
  • Re: backup of hard drive
    ... try logging out first, and then logging in as ADMINISTRATOR. ... > backup to CD media. ... > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone ... >> Why do I need permission and from whom, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)