Re: Accessing registry fro ASP.NET web app

From: Dr. Strangedub (strangedub@netscape.net)
Date: 12/17/02

From: strangedub@netscape.net (Dr. Strangedub)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 00:44:33 GMT

Well, I got this working quite easily. I simply set the following in my
web.config file:
<authentication mode="Windows" />
<identity impersonate="true" />

And bang - seeing that I'm logged on to the network with a user-id that is in
the Administrators group on the web server - the registry update worked fine.

My real problem was that I originally used the first definition of the
OpenSubKey method -- which opens the key as read-only. Then I would get an
exception on the SetValue call.
Doh!

-Michael Rose
Unisys Corp.

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:58:35 GMT, strangedub@netscape.net (Dr. Strangedub)
wrote:

>What do we need to set in web.config (I assume this is the place) in order to
>get our web app to access (read & write) the registry. In our present .asp
>environment, we rely on impersonation by IIS to grant the necessary privilege.
>Our prerequistites are:
>1. the ACL on the directory of the app must be set to Administrators group only
>2. IIS must have Windows authentication turned on
>3. and then we tell the admin to put specific user names in the Administrators
>group on the web server.
>
>Now with ASP.NET the web.config file has specific settings for impersonation,
>authorization and authentication. I've tried a number of combinations (plus
>I've done steps 1-3 above), but I can't seem to get the necessary registry
>access privilege. Would you know the answer - or where to look for
>documentation on this? Thanks in advance.
>
>-Michael Rose
>Unisys Corp.

Relevant Pages

  • Accessing registry fro ASP.NET web app
    ... get our web app to access the registry. ... we rely on impersonation by IIS to grant the necessary privilege. ... the ACL on the directory of the app must be set to Administrators group only ...
  • Re: Rights Problem with IWAM and IUSR Accounts
    ... Are you able to interactively login with any user that is not part of the ... You can also try to reset the local policy settings to the default values by ... I built a 2nd Win2K server, installed IIS, ...
  • using impersonation
    ... I wanted to use impersonation in an asp.net web service application. ... If the user is not added to the administrators group of the computer it ... Medical Informatics Research Center ...
  • Re: Access Denied
    ... Administrators group on a w2k3 server machine in trying to allow this user ... to access and administrate the iis 6.0 manager. ... But when this user opens ...
  • Re: using impersonation
    ... I wanted to use impersonation in an asp.net web service application. ... If the user is not added to the administrators group of the computer it ... Microsoft MVP ...