Re: Process Identity

From: Ed leNoir (edleno@safeco.com)
Date: 11/01/02

From: "Ed leNoir" <edleno@safeco.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 18:53:45 -0800

The settings you posted is all set up to run under the system account, so
it's no suprise with those settings. You can set the <identity
impersonate="true"> in the web.config if you want the app to run with the
anonymous account (IUSR_machinename I think it is). If you want something
else you can either change the anonymous account in IIS, or add an
<identity> with the userName, password and impersonate="true". But who
wants passwords in config files? So, changing the IIS account is a bit more
secure.

If you change it in the processModel it will work also. You may need to
reset iis to pick up the change. But if you put the user and password in
processModel make sure you DON'T impersonate in the web.config.

- Ed

"Helen Warn" <hwarn@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> I have an asp.net web application that always seems to run under my system
> admin account, no matter what user is logged on, and no matter what I put
in
> the processModel of the machine.config file. The Web App is running with
> anonymous logins only.
>
> In my machine.config file I have under the processModel element:
>
> userName="SYSTEM"
> password="AutoGenerate"
>
> For impersonate I have:
> <identity impersonate="false" userName="" password="">
>
> In my web.config file, I do not have an identity element.
>
> Does anyone know what I need to change to have the web app run under a
> different account (short of adding an identity element to the web.config
> file)?
>
> Thanks
>
> Helen

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Changing domain user password
    ... editing the processModel section. ... If you have changed the process model account, there is no reason to also ... > DirectoryEntry de = new DirectoryEntry; ... Impersonation may or may not be needed as ...
  • Re: Server Application Unavailable
    ... password supplied in the processModel section of the config file ... directory allow access to the configured account. ... You can find the application pool in the properties of the website and/or virtual directory that contains the site you're trying to get to run. ... Read/write rights in the ASP.NET Temporary Files under the framework directory ...
  • Re: Server Application Unavailable
    ... The configuration is Windows 2000, with .NET 2.0 the default ASP.NET ... password supplied in the processModel section of the config file ... directory allow access to the configured account. ... Read/write rights in the ASP.NET Temporary Files under the framework directory ...
  • Server Application Unavailable
    ... I'd actually likely be able to figure this out on my own if the administrator note were correct, but I can't find anything in the event log about the issue either. ... I see nothing about username/password in the processModel Section of that file, ... correctly installed and that the ACLs on the installation ... directory allow access to the configured account. ...
  • Re: How to run aspnet with system account
    ... it be used might open a can of worms for some poor developer ... Create a weak account that has the correct permissions, ... Set the userName attribute to SYSTEM in the <processModel> ... Granted, that section specifically refers to domain controllers, ...