Re: How do I give ASP.NET process network credentials?

From: Jay Warmack (jwarmack@weblandingzone.net)
Date: 10/24/02

From: "Jay Warmack" <jwarmack@weblandingzone.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 22:21:45 -0700

In web.config you should be able to use:

<identity impersonate="false" userName="domain\localuser"
password="password"/>

"Joseph Geretz" <jgeretz@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have a Source Safe database installed on my Win2K 'domain controller'. A
> Source Safe database is not a database in the traditional sense of the
word.
> It is actually a file system folder structure. Source Safe workstation
users
> access this 'database' via a folder share or mapped drive. The VSS
database
> is installed on a machine called Dimension2.
>
> I have written an ASP.NET process (web services) which interacts with the
> VSS API in order to access the VSS database on dimension. These web
services
> are hosted under IIS on a member server named Dimension. I was finding
that
> if I logged on locally to Dimension and ran the VSS Win32 Explorer client,
> was able to successfully access the VSS database on Dimension2. However,
the
> ASP.NET code was unable to access this database.
>
> I changed the ASP.NET username in the processmodel section of
machine.config
> to SYSTEM. Still no success. So I made the following changes to the
> web.config file at the root of the web service site.
>
> Authentication: Windows
> Impersonation: true
>
> Now the code runs successfully, since the ASP.NET code is now running
using
> my interactive session network credentials. This was a useful test to
> isolate the problem and to confirm that the problem is based on
credentials
> and security. However this is no solution for a production environment. I
> need to allow this to work for anonymous users coming in over the Internet
> without domain credentials.
>
> How can I set this up? Can ASPNET on Dimension be set up as a network
> account? Can a new network account be created and ASP.NET or my web
services
> be configured to use this special account? Or is there a different way in
> which this is typically done?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> - Joe Geretz -

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How do I give ASP.NET process network credentials?
    ... >> Source Safe database is not a database in the traditional sense of the ... >> I have written an ASP.NET process (web services) which interacts with ... >> VSS API in order to access the VSS database on dimension. ...
  • RE: Source control to Access 2002
    ... Have you added your database to ... Source Safe first? ... I have not used VSS with Access for a ... objects file nor a database name ...
    (microsoft.public.vstudio.sourcesafe)
  • Re: My ritual question for each new version of Access since 2000
    ... this is what a database does. ... but it uses a Source Safe database ... even know about multiple check-outs and merge updates. ... VSS makes a *copy* and gives that to each user. ...
    (comp.databases.ms-access)
  • Re: How do I give ASP.NET process network credentials?
    ... What implications does asigning this user as a domain user have? ... >> Source Safe database is not a database in the traditional sense of the ... >> VSS API in order to access the VSS database on dimension. ...
  • Re: Can you update/process AS2005 cube with AMO and SQL authentication
    ... the database instead of a secured access. ... Authentication while its required to access the AS server! ... ' Errors in the OLAP storage engine: ... the dimension, with the ID of 'Product', Name of 'Product' was being ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.olap)