RE: Page error for pages requiring SSL

From: Srinivas Grandhi (srinivag@online.Microsoft.com)
Date: 10/19/02

From: srinivag@online.Microsoft.com (Srinivas Grandhi (MS))
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 00:42:04 GMT

Hi Jim,
I apologize for the delay. I haven't checked the messages yesterday.

What you said about "Require SSL" and "Require 128 bit" thing makes sense.
What you indicate is - if one un-checks "Require SSL" then it should
automatically un-check "Require 128-bit encryption". I would agree with you
too. But as you have already noticed, if yo uhave installed Certificate on
the server and did not check "Require SSL" on the site, people can still
browse to the site via https or by http. If they browse using https, how
would we enforce 18-bit encryption? I guess there should be a way in the
interface that says use 128-bit encryption only if borwing to the resource
via htps. Hm...

Aprt from this detour, here is what I gather - ASP and ASP.NET work fine as
long as SSL is not enforced. Under SSL (https://) you are getting the
original "Page not found" error even after deleting all the sites, making
sure there is only one site and it is using Fixed IP (instead of Host
Headers). Am I right?

I think the changes you made (to make the site use fixed IP) are not
reflected correctly in the metabase. Take a look at the article below for
some tools:
HOW TO: Download, Install, and Remove IIS MetaEdit 2.2 Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q232/0/68.asp

Thank you,
Srinivas Grandhi
This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

Relevant Pages

  • SSL and IIS 5.0 - problem - help!
    ... I recently tried to configure my IIS to enforce SSL ... asking me to use https. ... >protocol you have encryption for any data INCLUDING ...
  • Re: SSL and IIS 5.0 - problem - help!
    ... > a broswer on the server itself, ... > asking me to use https. ... >>SSL itself is encrypted so as long as you stay in the HTTPS ... >>protocol you have encryption for any data INCLUDING ...
  • Re: SSL connection
    ... SSL is "activated" by using HTTPS instead of HTTP in the url as in: ... If you want to require SSL on a site then go into IIS manager, ... > Can anyone point me in the right direction for help in activating the SSL ... > encryption using asp - tutorials or sample scripts etc? ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general)
  • Re: SSL Overhead?
    ... Encryption itself isn't the sole culprit of data expansion. ... behind data expansion is the web service - and not SSL. ... I don't see how your comment on security has any credence. ...
  • Re: Expired cirtificate errors FireFox and IE (Vista 32 bit)
    ... Those would be https web sites (that use SSL to encrypt the connection) ... Have you yet rebooted Windows? ... Even if WU doesn't say you need to reboot after applying some updates, ...