Re: Authenticating against a user/pwd list on another server?

From: Willy Denoyette [MVP] (willy.denoyette@pandora.be)
Date: 10/17/02

From: "Willy Denoyette [MVP]" <willy.denoyette@pandora.be>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 18:20:19 +0200

Not quite sure why you are talking about a BDC?
Question is are you running a Domain.
If the answer is yes, your users have to logon using their Domain credentials, you shouldn't care about what server (PDC or one of
the BDC) will be used to handle the authentication handshake.

Willy.

"Kevin Yu" <kyu@nrcan.gc.ca> wrote in message news:e3HHmUedCHA.1876@tkmsftngp10...
> we have a BDC running locally, so I can authenticate users against the BDC?
> could you be more specific?
>
> thanks
>

> "Willy Denoyette [MVP]" <willy.denoyette@pandora.be> wrote in message
> > User authentication works against the local SAM or a Domain authority
> (Domain Controller Account database).
> > You can't authenticate against another servers local SAM .
> >
> > Willy.
> >

> > "Kevin Yu" <kyu@nrcan.gc.ca> wrote in message
> > > I have previously post another thread about this, the title is"
> > > Authenticating users on BDC", but the description of my problem is
> little
> > > confusing, so here
> > > I will just make it clear.
> > >
> > > I have a asp.net project working fine with windows authentication, but
> the
> > > user/pwd list is on the same machine with the asp.net server. what I
> want to
> > > do is when user login(windows integrated authentication mode), the
> > > authenticating process should get the user name and password and
> validate
> > > them against the user
> > > list on another computer/server. how can I go about and do that?
> (hosting
> > > the asp.net app on another computer/server is not an option)
> > >
> > > thanks
> > >
> > > Kevin

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Moving from NT4 DC to Active Directory 2003
    ... Your past authentication issues should not be a problem with AD ... > All offices have BDC except one branch office in France - it's running SBS ... > 2003 Premium with its own Exchange mail server. ...
  • Re: Authenticating against a user/pwd list on another server?
    ... you are correct, if I logon within the local network, then there is no popup ... they logon to theire computer (we have a local BDC, the PDC is at a remote ... > the BDC) will be used to handle the authentication handshake. ...
  • Re: Authenticating against a user/pwd list on another server?
    ... we have a BDC running locally, so I can authenticate users against the BDC? ... > User authentication works against the local SAM or a Domain authority ... > You can't authenticate against another servers local SAM. ... >> the asp.net app on another computer/server is not an option) ...
  • Re: Authenticating against a user/pwd list on another server?
    ... User authentication works against the local SAM or a Domain authority (Domain Controller Account database). ... You can't authenticate against another servers local SAM. ...
  • Re: upgrading domain/forest function level question
    ... A NT 4.0 BDC only hold a writeable copy of the SAM. ... authentication is used the NT4 BDC would not be used for authentication. ...