RE: Page error for pages requiring SSL

From: Srinivas Grandhi (srinivag@online.Microsoft.com)
Date: 10/17/02

From: srinivag@online.Microsoft.com (Srinivas Grandhi (MS))
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 06:54:39 GMT

Hi Jim,
SSL and Host Headers are mutually exclusive. We can't use both at the same
time. I am sure the KB article Q187504 explains why it is this way, much
better than I do. Doesn't it remind of 'Chicken or Egg quandary'? :)
(because - we want to find out which web server to use but we can't tell
that unless we decrypt the encrypted request header but we can't decrypt
the header unless we know which site/web server to use that has the
certificate, private key assosciated).
You can test this on a different server with only one site (or not using
Host Headers) under SSL.

I do not want to point you in wrong direction but the article below might
be interesting too (just to read). This talks about CMS (Content Management
Server) with its own Host Header Implementation
Using SSL with Host Header Names in CMS 2001
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q321/6/50.asp

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Srinivas Grandhi
This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: securing multiple websites using wildcard certificate - one IIS 6.0 server
    ... own unique host headers associated to it all under *.domain.com as I ... is IIS will send the user using SSL to the default web on the ... To use three virtual webs with SSL, you need three public IPs on the outside ... and three non-public bound to your NIC on the server. ...
  • Multiple SSL sites on one server
    ... I have an IIS 5 server which is currently hosting our exchange 2003 outlook ... web access over ssl. ... I have also setup a redirect site on the server which will direct any ... Anyway - this was the only site running on this box so using host headers ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • RE: Page error for pages requiring SSL
    ... Cannot find server or DNS Error ... SSL error page. ... Retried after restarting ISS, ... >SSL and Host Headers are mutually exclusive. ...
  • Re: Installing multiple SSL certificates....
    ... Is there a better way to provide SSL encryption to me clients for their web ... Server certificates vs client certificates? ... IIS does NOT support SSL with host headers. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • RE: Page error for pages requiring SSL
    ... When SSL is not required to view the page, ... >SSL and Host Headers are mutually exclusive. ... >(because - we want to find out which web server to use ... This talks about CMS ...