Re: REWARD: Fix our SQL Server connection for $150 (CAPA)

From: Tim Hodgson - http://www.ExclamationSoft.com (timhodgsonNOSPAM@hotmail.com)
Date: 09/06/02

From: "Tim Hodgson - http://www.ExclamationSoft.com" <timhodgsonNOSPAM@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 14:45:30 -0400

Are you able to set up an ODBC DSN using the OLEDB driver to the production
server? The DSN setup applet does have a test connection utilitly, though
rudamentary, which may yield some error or results.

By the way, are you getting an error message when connecting to the
production server?

Thanks,

--
Tim Hodgson
ExclamationSoft
"Rob Cote" <rgcote@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message

> We have wrestled with this problem long enough. If you are an expert at
> connecting to SQL Server 2000 from an ASP.NET application, then I will pay
> you $150 to make this work for our application. We will give you access to
> our server machine via a VPN and allow you to debug it. If it takes you 5
> minutes, you made great money. If it takes an hour, you've still made good
> money.
>
> We are very anxious to get this resolved. Please contact me by phone or
> email ASAP (see info at the end of the message).
>
> Here's the problem: We can connect to SQL Server 2000 just fine in our
> development set up. We cannot do so in our production set up provided by
the
> client.
>
> Here's a summary of the environments:
>
> Development environment:
>     Workstation is running Visual Studio .NET and Windows 2000
Professional
>     Server is running SQL Server 2000 and Windows 2000 Server
>     These two machines are connected on a simple LAN
>
> Production environment:
>     Single machine is running Visual Studio .NET, SQL Server 2000 and
> Windows 2000 Server
>
> The code below shows the connection string we are using for the
development
> environment and the connection string we are using for the production
> environment. In the production environment, the connection will not work.
It

'***************************************************************************
> *****
> Imports System.Data
> Imports System.Data.SqlClient
>
> Public Class CAPADatabase
>
>     ' DEVELOPMENT DESKTOP USE
>     'Dim strDBConnectString As String =
"server=CONSULTING\CONSULTING_SQL;"
> & _
>     '                                   "database=CAPASQL;" & _
>     '                                   "user ID=DB_USER;" & _
>     '                                   "pwd=db_user;"
>
>     ' LIVE SYSTEM USE
>     Dim strDBConnectString As String =
"server=MCDMSPADMIN01\MCDMSPADMIN01;"

'***************************************************************************
> *****
>
> - Rob Cote
>   Director, Consulting Services
>   Hands On Technology Transfer, Inc.
>   (781) 272-4757
>   robc@traininghott.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Outgoing POP3 email missing/lost/not received
    ... Funny thing is that I have had this ISP for 8 years and it has always been ... It looks like when you last ran CEICW, you set the ISP's mail server to: ... Internet Connection Wizard. ... After the wizard completes, the following network connection ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Cannot connect client to server 2003
    ... you need to reconfigure the IP schema of your SBS ... On the SBS 2003 Server open the Server Management console. ... On the Connection Type page, click Broadband, and then click Next. ... Alternate DNS server, type the IP addresses that are provided by your ISP ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: active / active servers with databases - pros and cons
    ... I have a production environment for a service running oracle on a sun ... server and this has a backup server in standby mode using oracle 10g ... dev/test/training database onto the standby server as well. ...
    (comp.databases.oracle.server)
  • Re: Outgoing POP3 email missing/lost/not received
    ... ISP's mail server instead of the domain name on the ... SUMMARY OF SETTINGS FOR CONFIGURE E-MAIL AND INTERNET ... Internet Connection Wizard. ... After the wizard completes, the following network connection ...