Re: REWARD: Fix our SQL Server connection for $150 (CAPA)

From: Tim Hodgson - http://www.ExclamationSoft.com (timhodgsonNOSPAM@hotmail.com)
Date: 09/06/02

From: "Tim Hodgson - http://www.ExclamationSoft.com" <timhodgsonNOSPAM@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 14:45:30 -0400

Are you able to set up an ODBC DSN using the OLEDB driver to the production
server? The DSN setup applet does have a test connection utilitly, though
rudamentary, which may yield some error or results.

By the way, are you getting an error message when connecting to the
production server?

Thanks,

--
Tim Hodgson
ExclamationSoft
"Rob Cote" <rgcote@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message

> We have wrestled with this problem long enough. If you are an expert at
> connecting to SQL Server 2000 from an ASP.NET application, then I will pay
> you $150 to make this work for our application. We will give you access to
> our server machine via a VPN and allow you to debug it. If it takes you 5
> minutes, you made great money. If it takes an hour, you've still made good
> money.
>
> We are very anxious to get this resolved. Please contact me by phone or
> email ASAP (see info at the end of the message).
>
> Here's the problem: We can connect to SQL Server 2000 just fine in our
> development set up. We cannot do so in our production set up provided by
the
> client.
>
> Here's a summary of the environments:
>
> Development environment:
>     Workstation is running Visual Studio .NET and Windows 2000
Professional
>     Server is running SQL Server 2000 and Windows 2000 Server
>     These two machines are connected on a simple LAN
>
> Production environment:
>     Single machine is running Visual Studio .NET, SQL Server 2000 and
> Windows 2000 Server
>
> The code below shows the connection string we are using for the
development
> environment and the connection string we are using for the production
> environment. In the production environment, the connection will not work.
It

'***************************************************************************
> *****
> Imports System.Data
> Imports System.Data.SqlClient
>
> Public Class CAPADatabase
>
>     ' DEVELOPMENT DESKTOP USE
>     'Dim strDBConnectString As String =
"server=CONSULTING\CONSULTING_SQL;"
> & _
>     '                                   "database=CAPASQL;" & _
>     '                                   "user ID=DB_USER;" & _
>     '                                   "pwd=db_user;"
>
>     ' LIVE SYSTEM USE
>     Dim strDBConnectString As String =
"server=MCDMSPADMIN01\MCDMSPADMIN01;"