Understanding application security in .NET

From: Alex Jaquet (da-geek@caramail.com)
Date: 07/24/02

From: "Alex Jaquet" <da-geek@caramail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 21:10:48 -0700

It's really depending if you need to store your
users and pass into a database or into an XML document
and then parse it.
The two ways are good but if you have to abstract
ressources maybe an external XML file will be better
to treat permissions on abstract ressource.
Into your Web.config file, you can set
the to our forms then you will be able to secure them

<autentification mode="Forms" >
  <forms name "Your form name" path ="/" loginPage
                 ="WebFormLogin.aspx" protection ="All"
  </forms>
rigth here you tell your config file to all users zo be
autentified by your WebFormLogin.aspx
</autentification>
  <authorization>
     <deny users="?" /> here you set you deny all
                        users who are not autified

then in your WebFormLogin.aspx you have to create use
the System.Web.Security and System.XML namespace
once a user is directly "log" by this current web form
you can parse a XML documents who contains some users
name and your rules. It's gonna really better to didn't
user data base to store info due to the fact of your
abstract ressource. Simply go and see the SAX api
to extend your XML file.

Hope this can help you.

Alexandre Jaquet
22 years old
Analyst Programmer looking for a job in US in
january with .NET tech.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Understanding application security in .NET
    ... > users and pass into a database or into an XML document ... > and then parse it. ... > to treat permissions on abstract ressource. ... > to extend your XML file. ...
  • BIS/ICE & XML
    ... the other a .xml file (which I think is the resulting XML document). ... Kathy. ... Prev by Date: ...
    (comp.sys.unisys)
  • Re: Viewing and Parsing XML files
    ... would greatly help me parse through this XML document and extract the items ... I suppose I can treat the XML document as a text file ... The problem with any XML file is that the structure is arbitrary. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • DataSet.ReadXML() and xml:stylesheet
    ... resulting XML file are to be used in a webpage with a XSL Stylesheet. ... Is there a way to allow this tag in my XML document when using ReadXML? ... The problem is that i cannot afford having an application rendering a HTML ... file that renders the html file whenever someone wants to look at the ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.xml)
  • Re: XML challenge!
    ... But if I do this how can I get more than one xml file into the dataset? ... > filter to the data table. ... >> results in a DataGrid control (or GridView, DetailsView, or FormView ... >> to either a custom business object or xml document, ...