Re: Compromise of the nobody account?

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.security.unix, in article
<barmar-F46AFE.20353628012008@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Barry Margolin wrote:

ibuprofin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Moe Trin) wrote:

There is substantial spam flowing out of google, to the point that
people are simply killfiling (blocking) all posts from there.

Really? Never noticed it -- maybe Giganews is filtering the spam.

Check the headers on this post. I suspect the difference is the
groups that you are reading. I'm killing google-posts in only four
of the 80 Usenet newsgroups I try to scan daily. In one group, this
filter was added after the spamvertisements posted from google were
hitting 65 percent (yes, two out of three were trash). A further
problem is that complaints to 'groups-abuse@xxxxxxxxxx' results in a
boiler-plate reply from an ignore-bot essentially saying that they have
no control (and no plans to control) posts from their service.

I thought the reason was that so many Google Groups users seem to be
clueless about how to post properly to Usenet (e.g. they're notorious
for multi-posting rather than cross-posting and not quoting in their
replies). This particular poster seems to be quite the exception.

Many of the people using googlegroups to post are doing so because
their ISP is no longer providing (or never did provide) a Usenet
service. See the post in the group 'comp.protocols.tcp-ip' for someone
else's explanation.

Old guy

  • Re: WOMEN IN SCIENCE - LETTER TO THE ACLU
    ... > Some "sensitivity training" on behalf of the men who control this ... is long overdue --for instance do not direct them toward this ... As a Usenet newsgroup, talk.origins is like a bar on ... moderated newsgroup. ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: A new reader? Welcome to alt.os.linux, read this first if youre new here (FAQ)
    ... On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux, in article ... Apparently, useful posts are ... choosing the correct filtering rules takes some experience. ... thoughtless posts that litter the politics groups to which ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Google wants to see client addresses in DNS queries
    ... On Thu, 04 Feb 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in ... article, Pascal Hambourg wrote: ... doesn't include this option (or set things to the designated wild ... sure how to "control" that. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: What the heck is going on in the newsgroup? All the spam...
    ... On Sat, 17 May 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.suse, in article ... You will find that filtering on 'Message-ID: ... Filtering on other headers requires the reader or spooler to either have ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: anyone home?
    ... On Fri, 14 Jan 2011, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.linux, in article ... with a Message-ID showing "googlegroups.com" ... I don't see much spam on any of the groups I frequent. ... It varies quite a bit - I'm filtering them on 27 of the 78 groups I ...
    (alt.linux)