Re: McCanney's Algorithm for Calculating Primes

In article <404ee4-e3a.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfajohnson@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
|> On 2007-04-05, dave wrote:
|>
|> > The book contains a prohibition against posting any of its content
|> > (directly quoted or paraphrased) to the internet.
|>
|> Copyright does not cover ideas, only the words used for their
|> expression, so a paraphrase cannot be prohibited.

Unless it was bought under contract (including licence). I doubt that
it was.

|> > So anyone not willing to spend $20 to get a copy of McCanney's book
|> > should just forget about his algorithm for calculating primes and
|> > move along.

I am prepared to bet that the book contains nothing that isn't already
known to number theorists, couched in some incomprehensible gibberish
to make it hard for anyone to discover that fact. It may include some
things that most mathematicians don't know off the top of their heads,
but that isn't the same.

Even if "dave" were to put his money where his mouth is and back such
a bet, I am disinclined to waste the effort proving the matter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

  • Re: McCanneys Algorithm for Calculating Primes
    ... |>> The book contains a prohibition against posting any of its content ... |>> to the internet. ... so a paraphrase cannot be prohibited. ... The license under copyright law cannot control anything ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: 17th amendment- Good or bad?
    ... That's how prohibition got passed. ... Yer backwerds on that. ... To paraphrase some schmuck comedian I saw on TV ...
    (rec.sport.football.college)
  • Re: OT: The de Menezes Killing
    ... >Never paraphrase what I write old flower. ... >apart when anybody reads any example of your "information analysis" ... >Go back and check old son. ... wondered why you were posting at intervals throughout Saturday ...
    (uk.radio.amateur)
  • Re: Freedom to converse with followers of other Guardians
    ... people who promote Guardians after Shoghi Effendi, in Internet ... he has been so designated by the Head of the Faith. ... contact with a known covenant breaker ... Indeed, it is a prohibition. ...
    (talk.religion.bahai)
  • Re: OT: A Federal Offense
    ... joke. ... President Bush signed into law a prohibition on ...
    (rec.food.cooking)