Re: Authentication architecture on a Unix Network

Jeremy Worrells wrote:

On 2007-01-16, kona <kona_iron@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
Until now we always used authentication again local /etc/passwd file
for our Unix servers.
We have about 300 machines of different OS, Sun, HP, AIX and some Linux
We would like to centralize all this part of authentication.
We do not would like to use NIS,NIS+
All recommendations, advices, links are welcome.
What I'm interested is on a centralized architecture. As the principle
of ActiveDirectory on Windows domain
Thank you

My suggestion would be to look into LDAP for centralized, secure
authentication.

Microsoft's version of LDAP is called...Active Directory - but of course it
has weird differences from everybody elses' version - so you can
authenticate Unix clients against a MS AD server but its very tricky to get
MS clients to authenticate against a Unix LDAP.

If you ever might be interested in authenticating MS clients, take a look at
Samba and GOSA, also the LDAPgina.

HTH

C.

  • Re: samba communication
    ... > The sharing is pretty basic, authentication is where you need to decide ... > authentication information from the Windows domain, ... > Then, add domain authentication, tell the SMB server who the WINS ... i have 2 systems, one is windows W, and one is unix U. so in my unix ...
    (comp.unix.admin)
  • Re: How to turn linux into VMS - memory refresher for Dave ...
    ... >>authentication and authorization in VMS are not that old. ... > Please remember that you don't speak for all UNIX vendors. ... Solaris and HP-UX are the 1st and 2and largest UNIX platforms ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: [9fans] First-timer help
    ... I did run newuser after I manager ... > to login as my new user. ... The user authentication methods used in P9 are a little different than ... similarities with Unix, but there are far more differences. ...
    (comp.os.plan9)
  • Re: NTLM Authentication from UNIX
    ... >Anyone successfully setup authentication to an NT Domain from UNIX? ... >What I want to do is leverage the corporate domain for an application ... I don't understand the term "repository" as you are using it. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: How to turn linux into VMS - memory refresher for Dave ...
    ... >> different code for authentication than login was. ... Any single UNIX ... default account for a well known service (only a privileged user can ... Unprivileged users cannot add faulty network services that ...
    (comp.os.vms)