Re: Negative permissions WITHOUT ACLs

On 2006-10-11, Starfish <frel8817@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello, if someone can answer this question you make a lot of Uppsala
University students happy.

Here goes: How do you specify negative permission¹ in Unix/Linux
without using ACLs?

¹E.g. saying that the user "Ellen" should not have write access to a
file regardless of the permissions given to her groups.

Try making "Ellen" the owner of the file and giving it 464 access.

She is still the owner of the file and can chmod it back, so it depends
on the tech savvy of Ellen.

Other ideas?

--
Jeremy Worrells
Unix Generalist

  • Re: Negative permissions WITHOUT ACLs
    ... How do you specify negative permission¹ in Unix/Linux ... | without using ACLs? ... saying that the user "Ellen" should not have write access to a ... | file regardless of the permissions given to her groups. ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: Negative permissions WITHOUT ACLs
    ... How do you specify negative permission¹ in Unix/Linux ... saying that the user "Ellen" should not have write access to a ... That's why they invented ACLs, ... UNIX permissions can't do that sort of thing. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: OWS Protester Proclaims =?windows-1252?Q?=91The_Jews_Con?= =?windows-1252?Q?trol_Wall_St
    ... I'm saying that the owner of the establishment has the right to ... government and propose a law requiring comfortable seats, ... It is a balancing of individual's rights against other people's. ... to this question - I'm not saying I totally agree with it, ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Re: OWS Protester Proclaims =?windows-1252?Q?=91The_Jews_Con?= =?windows-1252?Q?trol_Wall_St
    ... I'm saying that the owner of the establishment has the right to ... small smoking sections. ... It is a balancing of individual's rights against other people's. ... to this question - I'm not saying I totally agree with it, ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Re: Samba and posix acls
    ... trouble getting it to handle default acls just right. ... # owner: root ... ntd@server ~humanoids $ getfacl foo ... client: Use NFS. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)