Re: all-in-one server

ekrajb <no@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

I think I just keep my Linksys Router then.
Thank you for the answer.

Do a few things to that though:
a) make sure it's a newer one that has a stateful packet
inspection (SPI) firewall. The older packet filtering
firewalls are pretty easy to bypass.
b) make sure the firmware is up to date. some linky's have
exploits out for them that make them trivial to
compromise. Attacker gets admin access, slides your
servers into the DMZ of the router, and presto, you're no
longer behind the firewall like you thin kyou are
c) please tell me the administrator password has been set to
something different than the default.
d) you will want to send the logs somewhere to an inside box
to tie into the intrusion detection system.

If you're serious about security, you'll want a more featureful
firewall than the standard $60 linky. And in order to get web
services through the linky and such, makes sure your configurations
are secure.

Good luck!

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

  • Re: Connecting an SBS 2003 Server to the internet - the preferred way?
    ... Ideally a firewall appliance used with SBS Standard should have at least ... a web proxy and preferably a mail proxy. ... workstations need client software to carry this out. ... Since a good firewall appliance also offers stateful packet inspection, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Layer 7 firewall Vs Stateful packet inspection firewall
    ... >proxy firewall is a real firewall as every packet is checked up to ... Up until recently the only firewalls have been Stateful packet ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Firewall best practices
    ... flows through them, rather than "stateful packet ... inspection" (which, as far as I can tell, means that ... it's not a firewall, it's a hub. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Firewall best practices
    ... flows through them, rather than "stateful packet ... inspection" (which, as far as I can tell, means that ... If the firewall doesn't understand the data it's passing, ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: IE7 cannot load pdf
    ... It's as good as any stateful packet filter. ... Except that it is not SPI. ... Not only was there a firewall in SP1, but there was also a firewall in the original release of Windows XP. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)