Re: account for Unix daemon/service process

From: Volker Birk (
Date: 10/30/05

Date: 30 Oct 2005 15:21:04 +0200

Mary <> wrote:
> Is there a way in Unix where one can set up a daemon/service process to
> be associated with an account which is locked ? That is, an account
> where a user cannot login with it ?

Yes. And it's very common. Just use no password (say, an asterisk as
password in /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow respectively).

"Ich bin ein freier Mensch und werde jetzt von meinen Freiheitsrechten
Gebrauch machen - und zwar ausgiebig - natürlich nur in dem Rahmen, den
Otto Schily mir noch zur Verfügung stellt."
                   Wolfgang Clement am 10.10.05 als Noch-Superminister

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Simple Lisp Support
    ... and it's encrypted and sent as command ... AdminIdle (it checks whether I'm online on my Unix shell account, ... - Unix script idoes call-forward to NewEco site to deposit the message. ...
  • Re: RWW Security was compromised.
    ... > disagreement that this special Admin Account policy will likely need to be ... >> Windows server security as my previous experience is Unix. ... >> easily be removed from accessing external tools like RWW. ...
  • Re: [in] Re: [Full-Disclosure] IE is just as safe as FireFox
    ... Paul Schmehl wrote: ... the first user is the administrator ... The default user on UNIX is not root. ... I AM NOT ARGUEING THAT THE FIRST ACCOUNT CREATED HAS AN UID0. ...
  • Re: How to tighten UNIX security
    ... Most versions of UNIX support password ... In the case of Linux it's through the Shadow suite and PAM ... auth, account, session and password. ...
  • Re: Postfix, Courier-imap with mysql and squirrelmail
    ... set the rights like they were on another account and ... virtual unix - n n - - virtual ... maildrop unix - n n - - pipe ... hosts = ...