Double hopping

From: Adrian Casey (news_at_agcasey.com)
Date: 10/11/05

Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 20:45:05 +0930

I'd like to be able to detect and prevent double hopping.

For example, a user is logged into host-A. From host-A they log into
host-B. From host-B, they log into host-C. How do I detect this double
hopping and how can I prevent it?

The user may use telnet or ssh. I don't want to install a wrapper for
telnet and ssh nor mess with syslog configuration. I'd like to rely on the
native tools available on a standard UNIX system. If possible, I'd like to
gather as many details as possible when the situation occurs - eg hostname,
username, source and destination hostnames.

Adrian Casey
Alice Springs Linux User Group
www.aslug.org.au

Relevant Pages

  • Double hopping
    ... I'd like to be able to detect and prevent double hopping. ... a user is logged into host-A. ... From host-B, they log into host-C. ... username, source and destination hostnames. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: FC3: IPSec Functionality
    ... > Does anyone seem to be having any trouble with using IPSec in FC3? ... - sends encrypted ICMP echo packet to host-b ... encrypted ICMP echo-reply packet to host-a ... that racoon can read the key) and host-a.public and likewise for host-b, ...
    (Fedora)
  • ssh tunnel and ftp
    ... I have host-a (ssh client, ftp client) and host-b. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Double hopping
    ... > I'd like to be able to detect and prevent double hopping. ... You could try looking where the ssh/telnet connection has come from and ... Disable ssh/telnet on ... Host-B or only allow access to the ssh/telnet command when your logged ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)