Re: How does mozilla store passwords on Unix

From: Volker Birk (bumens_at_dingens.org)
Date: 08/26/05

    Date: 26 Aug 2005 12:28:07 +0200

    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/pki/psm/help_21/passwords_help.html

    > I assume the passwords must be encrypted for storage, but since the the
    > passwords need to be decrypted back to clear text before sending onto
    > the network, I am guessing it must be maintaining a key for the
    > symmetric en/decryption. Now, how would it store the key securely, I
    > wonder.

    They key is stored with a pass phrase, the user has to enter ("master
    password").

    Yours,
    VB.

    deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
                                        Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"

    • How does mozilla store passwords on Unix
      ... Any documentation/info on how browsers like Mozilla store passwords on ... I assume the passwords must be encrypted for storage, ...
      (comp.security.unix)
    • Unix/Linux/BSD security vs. Windoze security (was Re: 30 Miles of Bad Code (FORTRAN->C))
      ... Unix is pretty insecure. ... Unix passwords in /etc/passwd ... > security certification: ... > level of protection which is appropriate for an assumed non-hostile ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Auto Complete
      ... etc.) feature some form of remembering passwords and auto-complete. ... AutoComplete is the feature in browsers and other programs where you might ... USERNAME: johnboe ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
    • Re: Why is AES more secure than DES??
      ... BSD picked up ETX in place of the DEL used in the Bell Labs ... Unix distributions, due to influence from DEC operating systems. ... The specific characters used for such control functions are user- ... in user passwords, when the passwords are read as raw data ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • Re: Anti-Virus Software Suggestions
      ... >>passwords on Unix based systems are not stored on the system at all, ... anywhere on a unix system, ... The password is used as the encryption ... allow virus infections as a normal operation. ...
      (rec.photo.digital)